Manipulation voice data

Is it true that it will be possible to manipulate voice data in any way? Wouldn’t that create a lot of problems?

1 Like

What kind of problems are you thinking of because outside of the potential to record someone’s voice in game ( which can mitigated by simple filter construction instead of direct data manipulation ) I don’t see how the action of manipulating a voice will cause problems

3 Likes

For example, is it possible to substitute voice data? This would allow the server creators to change the audio output of the players however they want, which would cause problems. It is clear that filters will not cause any problems.

1 Like
1 Like

what exactly is your concern if they can “substitute voice data”? what way do you see that being used maliciously?

1 Like

I’m looking forward to doing filtering on voice data, so I can do positional radios that sound like actual radios.

I’m planning to implement some anti-micspam features for those people who broadcast to the world their laptop turbine engine…

4 Likes

I plan to use voice for events, kinda like an ingame alexa.
Still need to see how I get the neural network running and trained inside s&box or atleastimport the data.
Also I want to “”"“mute”""" players on any platform INDIRECTLY by letting them die if they still speak besides them being silenced ingame.
Could be a good idea for TTT reducing their karma or making “silencer”-weapons.

2 Likes

You can’t mute people in discord by an outside program, unless you go against the Discord TOs

I said indirectly. So inducing gamemode-dependent penalties.

1 Like

You know there’s still teamspeak, steam voicechat, telegram… You’d stop some but not everyone.

1 Like

I think malicious server owners will be able to change what players say with whatever data they have. While most likely it will not have any consequences for the players themselves, it may not be very pleasant.

1 Like

If the server owners go through the effort of training a neural network of yourself just for trolling, honestly that’s impressive. Nothing is stopping someone from doing the same thing on any game with voicechat btw. Record your play sessions, cut the voice clips, feed them into some neural network for speech synthesis and then come back later and play that through the game microphone.

What would even be the point? There’s also a very very high chance that it’d be obvious that it’s not real.

2 Likes

You know that I now say “indirectly” the third time?!

I will punish them ingame if the installed mic catches loud sound. I know it will be possible to circumvent, but I can still force them to have mic on, if they join my server by for example speaking up every round.
And I don’t care about public servers or hackers. I will do addons for my friends anyway and anybody that like what I do :smiley:

1 Like

Honestly I’m not sure if that’s possible, you might not get microphone data if the player set their microphone as PTT on the game settings (it wouldn’t make sense imo). Well if you force them to not use PTT and it’s just for fun okay I guess.

1 Like

voice data manipulation could also be useful for making a realistic radio and have it deform your voice (even maybe based on distance?)

3 Likes

garry please add a dislike button

3 Likes

Didn’t know making a bot with admin perms to mute people is against Discord’s TOS…

1 Like