To improve my mapping ability and get some use out of my server, I’m going to attempt to make a map every week of 2017 with playtests on my server on the weekends. (During the week it will rotate through previously made maps.) If I finish a map early in the week I’ll go back and polish up earlier maps. At the end of the year I’ll release all the .bsp and .vmf files. I started a bit early both because I’m impatient, and because I wanted to have a decent rotation of maps available early on.
Each week I’ll focus on some aspect of mapping I haven’t really delved into before and do a little writeup of what I learned. This week it was player-controlled moving brushes. The early maps will probably fairly gimmicky as I use a bunch of entities that I’ve had no reason to use before.
A Hostage Rescue mission where the terrorists start in a separate control room with no access to the rest of the map, but can control various devices including robotic arms and laser turrets.
I spent most of the week trying to get the arm itself working, so the rest of the map kind of suffered.
-New entities used: func_tracktrain, func_move_linear, env_laser, game_ui, game_player_equip.
-Playtest thoughts: Arm is fun, but extremely hard to kill anything with in its current state. The map needs some sort of objective that forces the CTs to remain in the arm room for longer.