Map compile fail.

So, everytime i try to play a map i compiled, i always get the error “MaterialSystem_Interface_t::AllocateLightmap: Lightmap (520x121) too big to fit in page (512x256)” Here is my compile list:

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files\steam\steamapps pb1994\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files\steam\steamapps pb1994\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp” “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\jesse1994\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\dm_mountainoverwatch_beta02”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Dec 11 2006)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps pb1994\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\materials
Loading C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\jesse1994\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\dm_mountainoverwatch_beta02.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (1)
Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
FixTjuncs…
PruneNodes…
WriteBSP…
done (0)
writing C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\jesse1994\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\dm_mountainoverwatch_beta02.prt…done (0)
Creating default cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_08*.vmt
Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.

No such variable “$hdrbasetexture” for material “skybox/sky_day01_08rt”
Can’t load skybox file skybox/sky_day01_08 to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors…
Finding lightmap sample positions…
Displacement Alpha : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Building Physics collision data…
done (0) (41678 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Compacting texture/material tables…
Reduced 243 texinfos to 171
Reduced 17 texdatas to 16 (416 bytes to 357)
Writing C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\jesse1994\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\dm_mountainoverwatch_beta02.bsp
2 seconds elapsed

** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\jesse1994\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\dm_mountainoverwatch_beta02.bsp” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps pb1994\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\maps\dm_mountainoverwatch_beta02.bsp”

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files\steam\steamapps pb1994\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files\steam\steamapps pb1994\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp” +map “dm_mountainoverwatch_beta02”

I only compiled bsp but i dont think thats the problem. Any suggestions?

Compile everything.

Like I said, thats not the problem, i had a problem like this a couple weeks ago and tried that and i spent like 1 hour just to get the same error

You said you don’t think that’s the problem and I think it is.

Besides, if it took only 2 seconds to compile it’s not like it will take you long.

okay, but if that isnt a problem you owe me a coke

[editline]04:40PM[/editline]

another thing, can you explore the internet while compiling? cause it always says not responding when i do

You can, the compile runs even while hammer claims it’s crashed.

[editline]05:59PM[/editline]

Solution: don’t use hammer to compile, look into VBCT.

This is a neat compiler that doesn’t use hammer, but uses the same programs. It doesn’t freeze, and it’s more user friendly. You can check any options you want for the different compilers, for example, stop compiling on leak. It’ll print out a log if it messes up, and you throw that log into the interlopers compile analyzer.

You can use the internet while you compile. You can use them harder if you use VBCT.

Try raising the light map scale on displacements if you have any.

thanks, at least now i know how long itll take to compile :slight_smile:

No problem. It’s by far one of my favorite tools. Remember that there are more options than just seeing how long compiles take.

anyways I waited about 7 hours for it to compile and it wasnt even half way there.