Map Compiling Trouble

Ok, so im using Hammer. Nice program, very helpful for Machinima making. So i make the map, i add an NPC and some stuff. Nothing too big or complex, just basic stuff. When i go to Compile map, it opens the command window for it, and does nothing. Ive seen Tutorials on map making and know it should do SOMETHING.

So i downloaded an external compiler. And when i try to run it, keeps telling me that the GameInfo.txt file is missing. I have gotten this before on other things, and have NO idea what its talking about, cause i KNOW the file is there, ive seen it. I have it configured for Garry’s Mod, and i KNOW i did it right cause it loads things for it, even with Faceposer it works, but for some reason its not Compiling, or anything that has to do with that gameinfo.txt file just dont see it.

Any help on fixing this?

Can you post what’s in your GameConfig.txt file?

umm, are you asking for the GameInfo? cause i do not see any file called GameConfig, unless im not looking in the right place for it of course.

Which engine did you set it up with? Source 2007 or Source 2009?
Your GameConfig.txt should be in either %sourcesdk%\bin\source2007\bin\ or %sourcesdk%\bin\orangebox\bin, depending on how you set it up.

i set it up for Garrysmod, and on the source 2009 engine. but its not asking for GameConfig, its asking for GameInfo.txt
so i dont know what its doing

i downloaded Valve Batch Compiler Tool and even IT cant find the stupid GameInfo file. Yet i see the file in the garrysmod folder like its supposed to be.
so why the hell is the compiler not seeing it?

What’s in your GameConfig.txt file? It might not be able to find Gaminfo.txt because it’s pointing to the wrong directory.

ok, ill just copy & paste the entire config:

“Configs”
{
“Games”
{
“Half-Life 2”
{
“GameDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\half-life 2\hl2”
“hammer”
{
“GameData0” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\halflife2.fgd”
“TextureFormat” “5”
“MapFormat” “4”
“DefaultTextureScale” “0.250000”
“DefaultLightmapScale” “16”
“GameExe” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\garrysmod\hl2.exe”
“DefaultSolidEntity” “func_detail”
“DefaultPointEntity” “info_player_start”
“BSP” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe”
“Vis” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe”
“Light” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe”
“GameExeDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\half-life 2”
“MapDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc”
“BSPDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps”
“CordonTexture” “tools oolsskybox”
“MaterialExcludeCount” “0”
}
}
“Half-Life 2: Episode One”
{
“GameDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\half-life 2 episode one\episodic”
“hammer”
{
“GameData0” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\halflife2.fgd”
“TextureFormat” “5”
“MapFormat” “4”
“GameExe” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\half-life 2 episode one\hl2.exe”
“BSP” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe”
“Vis” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe”
“Light” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe”
“GameExeDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\half-life 2 episode one”
“MapDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk_content\episodic\mapsrc”
“BSPDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\half-life 2 episode one\episodic\maps”
}
}
“Half-Life 2: Episode Two”
{
“GameDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\half-life 2 episode two\ep2”
“hammer”
{
“TextureFormat” “5”
“MapFormat” “4”
“GameExe” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\half-life 2 episode two\hl2.exe”
“GameExeDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\half-life 2 episode two”
“MapDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk_content\ep2\mapsrc”
“BSPDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps”
}
}
“Portal”
{
“GameDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\portal\portal”
“hammer”
{
“GameData0” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\portal.fgd”
“TextureFormat” “5”
“MapFormat” “4”
“GameExe” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\portal\hl2.exe”
“GameExeDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\portal”
“MapDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk_content\portal\mapsrc”
“BSPDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\portal\portal\maps”
}
}
“Team Fortress 2”
{
“GameDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123 eam fortress 2 f”
“hammer”
{
“GameData0” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin f.fgd”
“TextureFormat” “5”
“MapFormat” “4”
“GameExe” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123 eam fortress 2\hl2.exe”
“DefaultPointEntity” “info_player_teamspawn”
“GameExeDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123 eam fortress 2”
“MapDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk_content f\mapsrc”
“BSPDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123 eam fortress 2 f\maps”
}
}
“Garry’s Mod”
{
“GameDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\garrysmod\garrysmod”
“hammer”
{
“GameData0” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\base.fgd”
“GameData1” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\cstrike.fgd”
“GameData2” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\dod.fgd”
“GameData3” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\halflife2.fgd”
“GameData4” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\hl2mp.fgd”
“GameData5” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\portal.fgd”
“GameData6” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin f.fgd”
“TextureFormat” “5”
“MapFormat” “4”
“GameExeDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\garrysmod”
“MapDir” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps\hellblaze123\garrysmod\garrysmod\maps\vmf”
“CordonTexture” “tools/toolsskybox”
}
}
}
“SDKVersion” “4”
}

You most likely set up the configurations for GMod wrong. You shouldn’t be using that config in the first place. Use Episode 2 under the 2009 engine.

The Garry’s Mod entry should have values for the BSP, Vis, Light and BSPDir keys (nothing happens when you compile because the config isn’t specifying where the compile tools are).

Or Counter-Strike: Source would probably be better then Episode 2.

Well, depending on what content you want and all, you could just switch between game content in the 2009 Engine.

ok…now im just confused lol
So for Garry’s Mod, what configuration should i use? And one that will let me use Garry’s Mod models and such.
i mean i followed a tutorial on setting it up so not sure how i messed it up. not really familiar with this source engine stuff.

It’s probably easiest to use the Counter-Strike Source setup and extract any Garry’s Mod assets into your \counter strike source\cstrike\ directory.

thanks for the help. when i switch the game, it lets me compile so ill just do that for now, and just add what i need to the game folder, since i can still load the maps in Gmod after that anyway.

Thanks again for all the help.

Episode 2. You can always extract models from the CS:S .gcf file to EP2’s directory.