Map sketching software.

I need to draw layouts of maps. Right now I sketch them on paper and then copy them in photoshop. This doesn’t produce great results though, so I’d like to know if there’s anything better than that to design maps.

Google sketchup?

I know it’s not exactly what you want, but it’s a piece of piss to use.

Look for an architecture program that allows you to build blueprints on a grid.

I’m not an architect so I don’t know any, but you can search.

There aren’t any real “blueprint” design tools, just standard 2D CAD tools like AutoCAD which a lot of engineers/architects use, which can produce scaled drawings and such, but I don’t see what’s wrong with working froma combination of what you see in your mind and what you’ve sketched? draw a top down layout on squared paper if you think that’ll help. Building the level in sketchup or similar feels like a bit of a waste of time.

http://www.tekla.com/uk/Pages/Default.aspx
This is bit too professional and expensive :v:

SketchUp is free, and it can be a great tool for drafting and stuff. It’s got a variety of measurement systems (You can use different measurements that go by feet or meters or CM or inches.) and it was made with architectural layouts being one of the main things in mind.
You can also make models and stuff with it, but people don’t like it for that purpose for some reason…

The problem with sketchup is i want some kind of grid to help me draw better.

I think you can get that. If not, just create a face at the desired dimensions, draw lines at whatever intervals you choose, then make it a group/component and lock it. Kind of a half-assed solution, but hey…

I use binder paper and MS Paint.

Pencil and paper has always been better than any software I’ve come across.

This man speaks the truth.