Mapping Help

So last week I started really getting into mapping. I’m really enjoying it and it’s a lot of fun. Sadly though I really don’t know much about mapping and I’ve been watching tutorials left and right. Things like lighting, doors, windows, props, optimization and all that good stuff. There is a lot of things I do not though and struggle with. Things like

How thick should floors be?
How thick should walls be?
What is a good door way size?
What is a good window size?

I want to make a Half Life city map, much like the city levels in the game itself. I really love the rustic and poverty feel of those maps. If somone could please send me a helpful link with useful information that could help me with this project I would REALLY appreciate it. Thank you.

I suggest you start with simple maps first. it takes time to learn the feel of hammer

Generally, everything should be by the power of 2. 2, 4 , 8, 16, 32 , 64, 128, so on

for floors I usually do 64 or 32

for walls I often do 32 or 16 (depends on the walls)

door way size I often see 8
same with windows

It all depends on the style of the map though, some people here probably also use different things themselves

in the end, experimentation is key

although, keep in mind, sometimes thin brushes with a unit of 1 or 2 may bug out, so try not to do that

Some quick search for you:

Hope it helps !

Wow, thanks for the helpful responses guys. I really appreciate it.