Mapping Resources, Tips, & Tricks

This Topic contains useful mapping tips & tricks. I will try to add bulk resources to this main post. Replies can be new tips you’ve discovered.

Written Guides:

• Valve Developer Wiki (Half-Life: Alyx)
  • Valve Developer Wiki (SteamVR)
  • Source 2 Hammer introduction by Marnamai.

Recommended Youtubers:

• Hosomi has a load of short tutorials on specific topics, similar to 3kliksphilip on Source 1.
44 Likes

Hosomi’s videos are 100% what all tutorial videos should be like. No bullshit, straight to the point and done.

44 Likes

Yeah, a lot of people just beat around the bush at the beginning. Leave the “like and subscribe.” in the end of the video not the start.

1 Like

Light Cookies: Change how your light looks

Just type the cookie name into the Light Cookie property of a light_spot.

@shy made a preview of the default Half-Life: Alyx cookies.

Note: S&Box will probably have different default cookies.

7 Likes

I made a big room, 2048 units cubed, stuck a few lights around the room, and turned down the texture light map resolution thingy on all the meshes but it still took so long to build that I never finished building the map. Is there something fundamentally different about hammer 2 that I’m not understanding?

1 Like

I made a diagram the other day to help visualize concave/convex edge connections for tilesets

3 Likes

I’ve been watching a lot of Source 2 videos but this is easily the most informative for people who have used Source 1 hammer.

7 Likes

Love that fact that Hosomi’s videos are straight to the point.

2 Likes

thanks gamer

4 Likes

Cool

1 Like

thx u

2 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Appreciate this. Been looking at Hosomi’s videos for the past few hours

I made a video showcasing 15 Tips & Tricks

3 Likes