Maps Custom Content

Hey , so I just wanted to know how can I get a said map custom content (if it has one).
For example, this Day of Defeat: Source map is using some custom content that I can only see In-game , but not in the Hammer Editor/when I launch the map from the Hammer Editor.
Map: http://gamebanana.com/maps/21636

The content is zipped into the bsp. You’ll need something to extract the content out of the bsp.

Can you elaborate on how to do this?

I am not personally too keen on extracting content out of a bsp. But the method should be the same as packing.

Perhaps PakRat, VIDE or the supplied tool (BSPZIP) should do this.

The easiest way is by opening the BSP file with GCFScape. When extracting the files to your game directory, remember to maintain the same directory structure that was in the BSP.

What do you mean when you say “the same .BSP directory”? You mean the one where I have the original .BSP and other files of the said map?

No the files need to retain the same file structure from the map.
So if the map had a file path of
/materials/custommap/custommaterial/ It will need to retain this type of structure in order for it to show up in the map properly.

I know I’m coming in 2 weeks late, but I had some projects than needed my attention instead of what I talked about over here.
So I downloaded GCFScape and opened the .BSP of the map. On the left side I got a folder named “root” which contains the “lumps”, “materials”, “models” and “sounds” folders which contain all the custom content I need. (also, “root” contains the map .zip and .ent )
Now what do I do exactly? Where am I supposed to extract the “root” folder (I am guessing I need that and not solely the other 4 folders).
I don’t really understand what “map file path” you are talking about.

root is defined as the games root dir in your steam folder.
Typically this may look like C:\Program Files(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\garrysmod\garrysmod

/materials/ is your materials and mat text files.
/models/ is your base model directory
/sounds/ is of course all sound folders.

/lumps/
and any .zip/.ent files can be ignored unless they contain something special.

So to extract the “Materials”, “models” and “sounds” into my: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod ?

sure. if thats where your hammer is running from.

I’m using the CSS hammer. I went ahead and extracted the “materials” folder into: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike\materials\city36

“\city36” being a custom folder I just made, and where I placed the “materials” folder I extracted in order to not have things mixed together.
I opened the map in Hammer and I still can’t see any of the custom stuff.

Don’tadd extra folders. Otherwise you’re going to need to edit all the vmts have that new folder name.

So dup the materials from the map to the materials folder. They need the same file structure. (Same applies for models.)

So if the customer assets are /material/custom/content.ext then they need to retain that path. Adding another folder like /material/newfolder/custom/content ext means you gotta do some batch work.

Alright.
Where do I place the “sounds” and “models” folders? Also in the “Materials” folder?

All the files in /models/ go to /models/
Same applies for sounds and materials.

I have this for sounds, but it only has a “sound.cache” file in it, is that fine?: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike\sound

But I don’t have any “models” folder.

There should be a cstrike/models folder

As for sound.cache you don’t need that. Sounds arent models (:

A alright. So I’ll place the sounds there.
As for the models. I do have a “models” folder inside of my “materials” folder. Is that okay?

Since you use css, you should take advantage of the custom folder in cstrike.
cstrike/custom

In that folder, you create a folder you name what you want, for example, mymap_stuff.
In mymap_stuff, you extract the materials, models and sound folder you took from the bsp.

That way you keep a clean cstrike/materials, cstrike/models and cstrike/sound. And you got all files related to your map inside cstrike/custom/mymap_stuff

It’s way better imo.
Because if you pack the map after a compilation (with all the custom stuff). You just gotta move that mymap_stuff folder on your desktop, and see if everything show correctly in game.
You can then move it back into custom folder.

Oh , I see. Thanks’ for showing me that.