May 2021 - News - s&box

Oh, okay. Thanks for the answer

2 Likes

Great work as always! I await to see what’s in store next month!

2 Likes

Feels awesome to see how s&box gets objectively better in every way, excited to start creating myself when it comes out!

2 Likes

Exciting!

2 Likes

Facepunch is making some nice shit

2 Likes

I really like how the suit looks, really damn good job with that, I also think the sosig man looks really cool and contrasty against the realistic textured enviroments, I think realistic levels with cartoony men is the way to go, this shall def be one of the more stylistic, iconic and recognizable games for a long time.

Not a dev but this was still a really interesting read, can’t wait to someday get my hands on this game and develop another game inside it.

1 Like

dudes looking big time yakuza.

1 Like

Very nice! Great work as usual!

1 Like

Great job team, the game is really starting to look like a worth successor to Garrys Mod!

1 Like

can’t fucking wait

1 Like

Very Cool

1 Like

Nice work as always. For the physics I just wonder why not go for continuous collision detection? Most simplest way would be an obb that has old and new position as start and end points and checks in a macro check if they collide. Really strange that Source 2 doesnt have that.

4 Likes

Keep up the good work.so far i really really like the art direction, keep it going!

2 Likes

Beautiful :heart:.

2 Likes

Looks incredible. Extremely interested in the possibilities for procedural content, have been playing with attempts at procedural content in Alyx using Lua, so seeing a more streamlined ‘vanilla’ option to achieve procedural creations is extremely exciting! So many doors opening up.

Also super happy to see the art style for the maps you guys chose! Looks wonderful and the contrast between the cutesy fun character and the hyper realism that Source 2 offers gives a great feeling of immersion mixed with the good old fun that fpunch games have always offered <3

Cant wait to play with this stuff! :slight_smile:

–Just realized the potential with the runtime meshes. That alongside procedural generation has so much potential. lots of love and keep up the incredible work

4 Likes

Throw up VR is the best kind of VR

2 Likes

Any plans on making it so the citizen models can have different skin colors and such? Maybe like the player model editor in the context menu in gmod?

3 Likes

I just want a key so I can c all of this

1 Like

rr

1 Like

I disagree. As far as I know the alex fork of source 2 (which is what s&box using) did follow the map limitation in source 1, but the engine itself did actually could support a larger map size (Iirc l4d3 is going to be a open world shooter, so there must be something related to open world stuff still in s2, like level streaming and stuff, alyx build did get a incomplete implementation ).

Plus, making open world stuff is definitely something hard, but not rocket science nor require a recode due to the reason I mentioned above.

Regarding the userbase, instead of saying “this is not worthy to make cuz it only appeals a small userbase”, but let’s say it is because there isn’t a proper support on large levels, so the developers have to chose other platforms, like unreal engine. A large map support would definitely appeal the RP community, I mean who wouldn’t mind to have a larger map for a better, more immersive role playing experience. In short, adding large terrain support could allow the game to expand its target customers/player base to a larger number.

Unreal engine is excellent in large terrain games, but meh in modding. Gmod is excellent in modding support but large terrain support is non existent. I hope s&box could adopt the advantages from both worlds.

P.s: for dependencies, I think garry could make an automatic packaging tools like how web developers had(webpack, snowpack or vite), which helps modders to package all the required assets or codes into the addon/gamemode. No one likes missing textures, but no one also likes pasting code by themselves :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: I was right, it’s only being limited by a softlock, source2 itself could handle much larger map size than s1.

6 Likes