May 2022 - News - s&box

It always felt awkward that we depended so much on Valve's internal shading code to compile shaders, you'd have broken intellisense, would have to rely on private, undocumented methods, wasn't a fun time.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://sbox.facepunch.com/news/may2022
4 Likes

Good stuff like always!

2 Likes

quake lights my beloved D:

2 Likes

Another Fantastic Blog Post!

1 Like

This is the best blog in a long time. Every section was a great read!

2 Likes

gary oh gary oh gary

you recreated the monstrosity that is Unity, with the same performance profile

ultra slow start up
ultra slow assets cooking
ultra slow performance on average gaming computer
ultra slow iteration speed as a result

gary, when will you learn!!

stop developing on $100k PCs, you’ll then understand the limits of pumping hardware to fix your addiction to bloat driven development!

1 Like

are you stupid

2 Likes

i don’t know anything about this, but i like cel shading / toon outlines

2 Likes

garry oh garry oh garry

you created this masterpiece that is sbox, with a great performance profiler!

ultra fast start up
ultra fast assets cooking
ultra fast performance on average gaming computer
ultra fast iteration speed as a result

garry, you have clearly learned from your past

start developing on $100k PCs, you’ll then understand the limits of pumping hardware to fix your addiction to high speed driven development!

4 Likes

i haven’t said “performance profiler”

i said "performance P R O F I L E, without the R at the end

the engine runs like dog poop, just like Unity

1 Like

When you gonna be quiet about your shit pc lol

2 Likes

true, it does kind of run like shit even on a 3070 but i’m sure they’ll sort it out eventually

2 Likes

don’t worry, it’s being sorted

2 Likes

Yeah its in heavy development its going to be fixed

2 Likes

@russhy Personally I think they are making blazing progress for having to make a game & innovate and fix all the head aches out of source engine. I too am waiting for the day this will release BUT I know no matter what it will be a good game. Facepunch is one of the rare cases where devs actually are devs and actual true progress is made every month just look at rusts monthly progress. I really wish more AAA studios used what ever magic Facepunch uses! Keep up the grate work guys and gals love you all!

2 Likes

Great job on the VR components, keep it up!

2 Likes

Great jobs, finally we can display directly text on screen :grinning:

2 Likes

this is so sad!! my in development engine is slow who would’ve thought!!!

3 Likes

That make-material-from image is a huge time saver <3

Hopefully this shader update fixes all the blend texture issues I’ve been having with scale, lighting & hammer subdivision bugs. Curious to know if we might see a grass shader by Facepunch soon. :pray:

It would also be nice to see better documentation for animgraph so developers can take their modelling skills to the next level. It’s just that the current notes are appreciated but leaving comments next to nodes is like putting post it notes around an entire science lab and saying figure it out.

1 Like