I’ve always thought that ACF and other contraption based mechs were wonderful, even if getting one to work was incredibly difficult to the point where I never quite figured out how to make them myself.
With Groundwatch being well over 4 years old now (And built on a foundation of code that frankly shouldn’t have worked as well as it did but somehow still does) And with a whole slew of failed/abandoned projects gathering dust in my addon folder I figured that that was going to be the best we were going to get.
Then someone threw a bunch of fully rigged and animated models at me and asked if I could help him make it all work.
So… I did. And it all somehow worked out.
This is still a work in progress but I feel like it’s at the point where I’m comfortable showing it off and letting other people play around with it.
- A movement system based on Source’s NPC movement, ported to Lua and adapted to fit our needs
- 30 different mechs (15 unique models with an alternate version for each) ranging from ‘small’ light mechs to massive assault mechs that stand over 50 feet tall
- 2 human-sized battlesuits
- A slightly buggy mini spider, capable of climbing up walls and ceilings
- Colorable skins for team-based games
- 13 projectile based weapon types, ranging from lasers and mortars to guided missiles and PPC’s. Most of them can be upgraded through powerups to increase their effectiveness as well
- Jumpjets that let you lift your 50 ton mech off the ground like it’s nothing
- Multiplayer support with (mostly) properly predicted code
Download link: Github (Workshop upload will happen eventually, still a lot of stuff to do)