So, I go to launch Garry’s Mod for the first time since HL2/Ep1/Ep2/CSS were converted to Steampipe. Lo and behold, my game suddenly tells me I’m missing an executable.
I click on the link it indicates, which takes me here. I follow those instructions and try again. No luck.
I try a Google search and find a bunch of different solutions, all of which did not work. I have tried the following already (in no particular order):
- Verify the integrity of the game cache (multiple times): Always says it’s fine
- Deleted the appcache directory (as indicated at the above URL; also multiple times): No change
- Uninstalled Garry’s Mod completely AND deleted any remaining Garry’s Mod related folders from my Steam directory AND did a fresh install to the default Steam directory: No change
- Uninstalled Garry’s Mod completely and installed it again to a DIFFERENT directory and hard drive: No change
- Deleted clientregistry.blob (three times): No change
- Validated Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2, CS: Source. CS: Source DID need to be converted to Steampipe still but even afterwards there was: No change
- Ran HL2, Ep1, Ep2, CSS to see if that was the issue: No change
- Validated Source SDK Base 2006/2007 (multiple times): No change
- Uninstalled and reinstalled Source SDK Base 2006/2007: No change
- Deleted the appmanifest_4000 which relates to Garry’s Mod from the steamapps folder.
- Put my steamapps folder under the exclusion list for Windows Defender (my anti-virus): No change
- Unsubscribed to every Steam Workshop item I was subscribed to for the game: No change
- Opted out of the Steam client beta: No change
- Moved hl2.exe to the Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod folder (since it is obviously NOT PRESENT in the current directory): New error! It says “Failed to load the launcher DLL: The specified module could not be found.”
– For the hell of it, I just did it again while typing this up and it still gives me the DLL error when attempting to launch.
I seriously have no idea what more I could possibly try.
A picture of the only Garry’s Mod directory I have in my Steam folders. This is the same directory that opens when I go to Properties > Local Files (tab) > Browse local files…:
I have 38 hours in the game. I’ve played it before on my current setup without any issue. This happened sometime between when I last played (pre-HL2 steampipe conversion) and yesterday when I went to go run it to get the cards for the game.
Generic System Specs:
Windows 8 Pro - 64bit
Installed (along with my other games) to my E drive (secondary HDD) but also did not work when I tried installing to my G drive (an external USB 3.0 drive)