Mod install help

System specs:
CPU:AMD X4 955
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
GRAPHICS: GTX 260

I’ve read a few threads on mod installs, and watched a few videos. Check for info file, if found, extract to addon folder. IF not, extract files to corresponding folders. I’m not new to modding games, and have done my fair share of modding: Fallout 3, Oblivion, Morrowind, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, etc.

That being said, just bought GMod, if for nothing else than it seems like a really fancy sand box. Downloaded a few mods, all of which have info files. Placed in addons, which yielded no results. Vehicles don’t activate if they are even available, NPCs do not appear in list, nothing in general seems to bring any of the items into the game itself. NPCs that should fight do not, etc.

What do I need to do to get these working? Other than moving them to the addon folder, is there something else I can do?

The best way i found is to UN-RAR them to the desk top . Then depending what format they used, copy and paste . Some go into addons and some may half to be placed in lua and some into spawn lists and so on . Best way i found is to look at the files unzipped and match to the ones you have in <path>garrysmod/username /steamaps/ Saving a backup of the main Gmod is always a good idea . If all else fails svn works for some additions . Remember steam holds the “paid for” things , so you can start from scratch .
PS… i don’t call my self a master modder
but adding files is not righting code
My hat’s off to those that do.

I'm running on WIN 7 
      GTX 250 1 G 
      AMD Quad ph II