Model checkered in Hammer v2

Made a thread about this earlier, making another one instead of bumping an old one because I still can’t get it. So I’m trying to port models into gmod and I can get the model itself in fine, but the textures are another story entirely and I have no clue why.

Model In Hammer

File Location

QC File

$ModelName "julianos/julianos.mdl"

$StaticProp

$BodyGroup "julianos"
{
	studio "julianos_reference.smd"
}

$SurfaceProp "concrete"

$Contents "solid"

$MaxEyeDeflection 90

$CDMaterials "models\julianos\"

$Sequence "idle" {
	"julianos_anims\idle.smd"
}

$CollisionModel "julianos_phys.smd"
{
	$mass 1
	$inertia 1
	$damping 0
	$rotdamping 0
	$concave

}

vmt

"LightmappedGeneric"
{
	"$basetexture" "models/julianos/godjulianos01"
	"$bumpmap" "models/julianos/godjulianos01_n"
	"$surfaceprop" "Rock"
}

Nothing is out of place (at least, not that I can see), but for some reason it’s still checkered. I tried downloading Wunderboy’s MDLTextureInfo to see what was going on an apparently, the directory for the textures are fine, but the material file itself is named “Material__25.vmt” for reasons beyond me, as you can see in this side by side comparison.

But as you can see from one of the earlier pictures, the vmt is named nothing like that and the .tga I’m using as an actual texture in 3DS max is called

I’ve tried renaming the vmt and the texture itself before recompiling, nothing. I’ve tried changing file directories, nothing. Any ideas?

Your VMT script is incorrect.

“LightMappedGeneric” needs to be “VertexLitGeneric”.

In your model QC, you’re interchangeably using back and forward slashes to denote directories, you should use one or the other and not both. I prefer / because I’m a *nix guy, but either should work.

You should also move “$CDMaterials” to the top of the QC and remove the trailing slash so it looks like this:

“$CDMaterials” “models/julianos”

Also, did you use a proper converter to make the VTF textures? You can’t rename another texture format to VTF and expect it to work as VTF is a proprietary format.

I’m using vtf edit. I took my .tga and put it in there and saved them as vtf files instead of just renaming the extension. I will, however, make those other changes and see if that fixes it.

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
	"$basetexture" "models\julianos\godjulianos01"
}

$CDMaterials "models/julianos"

$ModelName "julianos/julianos.mdl"

$StaticProp

$BodyGroup "julianos"
{
	studio "julianos_reference.smd"
}

$SurfaceProp "concrete"

$Contents "solid"

$MaxEyeDeflection 90

$Sequence "idle" {
	"julianos_anims/idle.smd"
}

$CollisionModel "julianos_phys.smd"
{
	$mass 1
	$inertia 1
	$damping 0
	$rotdamping 0
	$concave

}

So I changed up my vmt and qc a bit, but nothing changed on the model. It’s still checkered and for some reason, the mdl checker is still telling me “Material__25.vmt”

Can you put all of the stuff in a zip file and post it so I could look at it?

Here you are.

I’m not sure how your model is supposed to look because I had to import the SMD, but I got it to compile with the included texture:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/156902956235819581/F62408078583B1A55BEDBE2F969BA6667CFF021E/[/thumb]

It also works in Hammer:

[thumb]http://i.imgur.com/57aRDI3.png

I can give you the model and textures, the source or both if you want. If you need me to compile a larger version for you, I can do that as well.

It’s so strange that this is happening. I’ve ported models into gmod before and they’ve worked fine, I don’t know why all of a sudden I can’t get textures to save my life. Could it have something to do with me using walworm in 3dsmax to export the obj into smd format?

Either way, I would appreciate both if you can. Maybe I should try transitioning over to blender or something instead…

Instead of using TGAs in 3ds max, get the VTF plugin so you can load Source textures directly. I tried to load the TGA you provided in MAX and it had the same missing texture issue when I compiled it into a model.

Here’s the source and compiled models/materials I made:
http://sanzen.in/files/julianos.7z

You can remove the lightwarp if you want, I just think it makes shadowing look better.