More human-like terry default playermodel concept

So, one of the main concerns I’ve seen about sandbox are the current “Terry” playermodels. People say they look too cartoony, too wacky, too family-guy, or like Fanboy and Chum Chum. Personally, the more I see them the more charm I see in them and I honestly think the playermodel is great and could work very well with the S&box vibe but regardless, I wanted to see what Terry would look like if we were to address these concerns, while still keeping with the wacky cartoony style.

Most of all I see people saying the model is ugly. This is probably mostly due to people not being able to see themselves in the model, since it doesn’t have a neck, has completely round eyes, square eyebrows, etc. not very realistic, nor something you’d want to look like (nor something you could look like I suppose). The best way to address this is, obviously, humanizing him a lil bit, but attempting to keep the cartoony/wacky aspects about him. So after a bit of trial and error I did, by making the eyes more oval-shaped, the nose more triangular, the eyebrows thinner, adding a neck and making the face oval-shaped. This, of course, carries many issues: Not everyone is thin, not everyone has thin eyebrows, some people have a more round nose. Problems the original terry didn’t have because, well, no one really looks like that, so in turn it’s nearly impossible to see terry and think: I wish this terry had a neck that looks more like mine! I wish Terry had a body build similar to mine. Because the terry model is, inherently, not much like any of us and, due to not being able to completely feel represented in the model, you will expect less in terms of customizability and just assume certain aspects can’t be changed due to the art-style (You wouldn’t expect to be able to customize your neck’s width with the Terry model for instance, because it’s an inherent part of the style)
The result carries many issues like this because, of course, and unlike Terry, would likely need to bring more customization options (i.e changing the face shape to fit your own, changing the nose shape, changing the eye shape, changing the body weight and size, etc) and , as such, it’s less “universal” than Terry. It also looks like Saitama from the hit anime series “One Punch Man”. Also keep in mind that I’m not a game designer nor a 3D artist, so this is more of an amateur concept art than anything truly professional.
Anyways, this was just a small experiment I think people here would be interested in seeing, and also to shine a light on the difficulties of choosing and designing a good default playermodel. I trust the devs at Facepunch and don’t think the game will be “ruined” because of the Terry playermodel, quite the contrary, I think Terry has many advantages.

tl;dr drew what terry would look like addressing a few of the issues people see with it. Personally still like Terry.

You can see the concept I drew with in the following link: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

10 Likes

Twink Terry

Twink Terry

4 Likes

CHAD THICK TERRY vs virgin twink terry

3 Likes

Just remember that the heinous design style of Roblox is a multi million dollar industry

I welcome thicc boy chad terry to the playing field. :doughnut:

4 Likes

Yeah, people massively over-exaggerate Terry’s design. Terry’s iconic, unusual and weird, just like Gmod. It fits perfectly.
But I guess most people want their playermodels to look cool n shit.

3 Likes

I like the idea of the current Terry as a default/place-holder thing, but imo it seems like a missed opportunity not to have a few realistic playermodels, especially with s&box’s realistic graphics.

5 Likes

This kind of more realistic models will probably come later but I doubt it will be a priority for the moment in the game development.

1 Like

Honestly I think Terry is great for making the game stand out at this point in development, and is decently vague to the point he fits well enough in most gamemodes. But I hope they either add alternative Terrys for less wacky gamemodes and/or make it so Terry, and the cosmetics you put in him, can seamlessly translate into other playermodels if the custom playermodel is configured that way.
Because, like, I get that people will want variety in player models and it’d be a shame for the S&box character creator to be used for just one playermodel.

1 Like

if you dont want to use terry in your gamemode then simply make (or buy) your own (you dont have to use it at all) ^^

1 Like

I do think that he just wants a different approach to stand out of course. Blending in too much will not give justice to the concept he is going for. I do not agree that it does not fit the preference of everyone. We are not just used to it.

1 Like

Well… I mean you can say that about anything really. If you use something long enough, you’re eventually going to like it.

1 Like

something really urgs me about the default terry i know its supposed to be iconic but i think itll hurt the game most people like cool looking stuff not a mr. meaty type style, ive seen how many people hate the default terry model and even a lot that say they wont buy the game just because of it.
Screenshot_269

3 Likes

looks a lot better i like it a lot

1 Like

Yeah Terry is undeniably ugly. Still like him tho, but I wish there were different variants of Terry to fit different gamemodes that could use the same cosmetics and stuff.
The only issue I have with Terry is that he deifnitely won’t fit in every gamemode. Not really a problem with Terry though, since it’s impossible to make a playermodel fit every gamemode, but this could be fixed with the suggestion I put up about having Terry be used as a base, so playermodel creators could make other models that could also work with the cosmetics you put on him (Or make custom cosmetics for that playermodel). I’d love to make a custom different variation of Terry myself.

2 Likes

You’ve ruined terry :broken_heart:

3 Likes

if its that easy to ruin it doesnt deserve to stay lol

well one thing i dont like about s&box is the playermodel i must say. This would be the first thing i would change for my gamemodes ;D

I would like to have some sort of realistic playermodels too

This is what you’re going to get.

1 Like

А вот так?
sticker

2 Likes

bump