Motion blur processing and animated camera paths on models

I’ve been getting back to work on machinima in the source engine and I decided to test a few new effects. All of what you see here is very much a work in progress, the animations, motion blur processing, models and sounds. I’m hoping to improve and polish all these elements.

Motion Blur Processing:

This was accomplished using the same process that Ross Scott uses in his Civil Protection and Freeman’s Mind series. Basically this method involves filming the footage at 180 frames per second in the source engine and then running it through the MVTools plugin using this script:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\mvtools.dll")
 source = avisource("sidepass1 180fps.avi").assumeFPS(180).ConvertToYV12()
 backward_vectors = source.MVAnalyse(isb = true, truemotion=true)
 forward_vectors = source.MVAnalyse(isb = false, truemotion=true)
 return source.MVFlowBlur(backward_vectors, forward_vectors, blur=100).TemporalSoften(2,255,255,255,2).selectevery(6,1)

This uses the high frame rate video to work out motion vectors for areas of the image and then blurs them based on their speed. Unfortunately in some of the high speed shots in this video you can see that there is no blurring, I think this is because there is too much movement in that part of the screen and the tool is unable to keep track of the movement because it’s sample size is too small and so the movement goes out of it’s range. I’m guessing that capturing the video at an even higher framerate might fix these issues but i’m wondering if there is another way around the problem.

To be honest I know very little about AVISynth scripting and using the MVTools plugin and I am appealing to anyone with previous experience to offer advice to help me improve the effects shown here. I should also mention that this was made using MVTools version 1, I know there is a newer version available but i was unable to get my script to work when using it.

Animated Camera:

The animated camera path was created in Softimage and put into the Dodge Charger model as a simple animated attachment point. I then parented a normal garry’s mod camera entity to the attachment point and the animation plays out thereby moving the camera. This is mainly just an experiment but it will be useful for my future films which involve high speed chase sequences.

Dodge Charger:

You can download the model here:

http://www.garrysmod.org/img/?t=dll&id=121149

or as part of my vehicle pack SVN: http://svn2.assembla.com/svn/mastersmiscmodels

More information here: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/918163-Master-Chris-s-Vehicle-Pack

The sounds you hear in this video are still WIP but the final versions will replace the current sound effects in the next update.

I can see this being very useful, Great model by the way.

looks good imo

Ah! I’ve always wanted to put catmull-like cameras around moving vehicles. If this is ever made a download, I’d download it immediately.

I’m not going to release this version of the Dodge Charger model, sorry. This is mainly because the animated camera attachment causes other animations to be overridden, like the doors opening when you enter the vehicle.

Besides the animation doesn’t change so everyone using that model would have exactly the same movement in their film.

OK, sorry for the slight change of subject, but how do you record with source recorder now? Ever since that big update about a month ago, source recorder hasn’t been working for me and a bunch of other people. I type startmovie __ avi in console and the menu that used to come up doesn’t come up, but it says it’s recording.

I haven’t been sure if anybody’s been using source recorder since the update but you said you used it for this, so I’m guessing there’s some new way to do it. Thanks!

I had to use the older raw .tga method for these test videos. Let me tell you now that working with nearly 250Gb of raw image files isn’t fun so I don’t recommend it unless you have to get work done right now. After rendering out the image sequences I compiled them into .avi files for actually doing the motion blur processing.

The console command to record to .tga image sequences is exactly the same except you cut out the avi from the end of the command so it’s ‘startmovie mymovie’