Movie question

Hello again. I’ve been trying to make a machinima, but when ever I finish and look at the film I’ve made it looks really ugly. My graphics are high I use the paid version of FRAPS and it just look low quality and laggy. I was wondering if there were any tutorials or anything on how to make a hl2 machinima from start to finish? Thanks!

Camera angles are important. If you use a film editing software like Sony Vegas or Adobe After Effects you can do some color correction which goes a long way. I’m pretty sure both those programs have free trials, so you should look into those.

Any examples of stuff you’ve made?

No. It looks so bad I never finished anything… I’ll try that stuff though. Thanks!

Yeah, no problem. Describe the badness though.

what do you mean by bad? you mean compressed and laggy as in from the recording software?

[editline]12:31AM[/editline]

you’re not being specific.

Sorry. The edges in the video is bad but in-game it looks fine. The textures look low-quality when in-game it looks fine. It’s laggy whenever anything moves. And it just looks ugly. Plus any tips on how to make a good story with no voice acting?

Post a clip of your film, we’ll judge. I always think my films look absolutely horrible when I’m finished, but apparently people always think they look really good. So let us see, we can tell you for sure.

Okay. I’ll try to get something soon. Thanks!

just get a screen capture.

[editline]01:06AM[/editline]

screenshot. sorry. you probably don’t know the real term for it.

I do. :smiley:

I hope someone can solve his problem, cause I have the same thing.

You could use source recorder.

Okay I did a short vid with no sound. Sound makes my FRAPS even laggyer…

Post your specs.

Also, check how you’re rendering the videos.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Card name: Radeon X1650 Series
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x71C6)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6806 (English)
Description: Realtek HD Audio output

Is this everything? I’ve never posted specs before. :3

Had the same problem. Took a complete reinstall of GMod. To my surprise it fixed the lag. Just a suggestion.

Listen to what Uberslug said.

I made a movie, looked fairly OK… Added some blue-ish colour correction and it looked so awesome.

If you have many addons and mods installed on Gmod then it slows it down alot.
Uninstall the ones you dont need and the Fps will rise.

In-game the fps is fine but when I start recording with FRAPS it slowes down to about 12 fps. I would like to try source recorder but when I try to record I don’t know witch codec to use? Any idead?

It’s not the codec that’s the issue. It must be the quality that you’re recording the video at. Try running it at a lower quality, maybe 30 FPS, and you should have an easier time recording.