Moving episode 2 entities to the 2009 engine

Title says it all. Unless I’m horribly mistaken, there hasn’t net been a fix for the 2007 version of Hammer, and the grids aren’t showing up.

I took someone’s suggestion and used the 2009 configuration, but now I don’t have a lot of the entities I need in order to complete this project. As in weapons and some AI controllers.

There a way to bring them to the 09 version, or should I just use the 06 one?

You have to mount the .fgd’s in the options.

So, how do I do that?

tools > options and then in game configurations at the top go add and hunt down the ep2 one, should be kicking around your sourcesdk folder.

Thanks, it worked!

Alright, I have another question; how do I move assets like textures and models from one version of the engine to another?

Download GCFScape
Open it up, navigate to the folder “Steamapps” and find your gcf file (For CSS it’d be counter strike source shared.gcf) then open it
Find the materials and models folder, right click and extract to the required folder (For EP2 it’d be half life 2: episode 2 > ep2)

Alright, here is what I am trying to do;

I am trying to move episode 2 models and materials into the appropriate folder so that I can use them in hammer using the 2006 Half Life 2 configuration.

I’ve tried extracting the episode 2 content to both the sdk_content and sdk Hl2 folders, no dice.

What am I doing wrong?

[editline]02:16PM[/editline]

Ok, so I loaded the episode two materiels.gcf
and I assume I should extract it to the sourcesdk_content/hl2/materielssrc/materiels

folder.

Is this correct?

no, you want to extract them to steamapps > (steamname) > half life 2 > hl2

So I should extract the episode two materials.gcf to the directory you listed?

[editline]02:29PM[/editline]

Didn’t do anything, still missing models and textures in the hammer viewer.

no, you extract the materials and models folder into your hl2 directory.

[editline]03:40PM[/editline]

http://filesmelt.com/dl/ep2.png

Ok, that worked, but the models are missing textures, and I’m still missing standard textures.

What else do I need to do?

Sorry to keep going on like this, first time doing this sort of thing.

[editline]03:18PM[/editline]

Alright, I extracted episode 1 models and textures as well, and it seems to have taken care of the majority of texture problems.

But I’m still getting missing texture errors on the military bunk beds, the gnome, and watermelons for some reason.

Most likely the VTF versions being the problem. Why would you want ep2 textures + models in hl2? When you already have hl2 textures and models in ep2?

Because I need to make a ‘mod’ for a job this summer.

We were supposed to do it using the ep 2 engine, but since the 2007 configuration is currently fucked, and you can’t make mods for the 2009 version yet, that only leaves the 2006 version.

Unless I’m horribly mistaken and there is some sort of fix, I’m stuck with the 06 engine.

i remember there was something about editing a config, like a couple of lines, that’s pretty much all i remember though.

i’ll have a look around for the mod i created, see if i can find it.

create a mod in half life 2 episode 2, see if anythings different in your gameinfo file (sourcemods/name of mod/gameinfo.txt):

"GameInfo"
{
	// This is what shows up in the 'Third Party Games' area of the Steam games list.
	game						"Name of mod"
	type 						singleplayer_only

FileSystem
	{
		SteamAppId				420		// GCF for Source SDK Base
		ToolsAppId				211		// Tools will load this (ie: source SDK caches) to get things like materials\debug, materials\editor, etc.

//
		// The code that loads this file automatically does a few things here:
		//
		// 1. For each "Game" search path, it adds a "GameBin" path, in <dir>\bin
		// 2. For each "Game" search path, it adds another "Game" path in front of it with _<langage> at the end.
		//    For example: c:\hl2\cstrike on a french machine would get a c:\hl2\cstrike_french path added to it.
		// 3. For the first "Game" search path, it adds a search path called "MOD".
		// 4. For the first "Game" search path, it adds a search path called "DEFAULT_WRITE_PATH".
		//

//
		// Search paths are relative to the base directory, which is where hl2.exe is found.
		//
		// |gameinfo_path| points at the directory where gameinfo.txt is.
		// We always want to mount that directory relative to gameinfo.txt, so
		// people can mount stuff in c:\mymod, and the main game resources are in
		// someplace like c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\half-life 2.
		//
		SearchPaths
		{
			Game				|gameinfo_path|.
			Game				ep2
			Game				hl2
                                                      Game                                                             episodic
		}
	}
}