Multiplayer Map Creation

Something that was looked at back when the game was using Unreal Engine 4 was multiplayer map creation. Is this something that is still planned even after switching to Source 2? Would it be something such as an addon built into hammer or a completely separate program?

3 Likes

I’ve been afraid to ask this question, I hope Facepunch doesn’t give up on the idea just because Hammer is already available so they take the easy way out.
It was one of the best features about S&box and I fully believe that using Source 2 is a downgrade in every aspect except for publicity.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s what really got me following the game. That alone showed me how much more potential this game has over Garry’s Mod. Makes it much easier to make maps too, allowing friends to show you in real time what you want to do instead of screen sharing on discord or something like that is so much nicer

5 Likes

Until now I haven’t seen any videos/screenshots that show geometry being changed at runtime like we saw on Unreal, which worries me, but FP hasn’t said anything one way or the other.

With how good of an impression the source development tools left on Garry, I think there is a possibility they create a very responsive way to stream maps in but leave the actual creation to Hammer and the like, which would hinder the seamless creation you are conceptualizing. This is all speculation though.

I would LOVE to see cooperative map creation being a thing.

2 Likes

I think a proper version control support for maps would be much better than realtime map cooperation, but much more complex.

1 Like

It’s definitely still on our radar, but it’s not as high priority now we have hammer etc

17 Likes

I hope the feature gets added before public release, even if it’s just basic geometry where you later have to touch it up on hammer.
I believe it’s one of the strongest selling points as maps are one of the creations that require the most time for newbies to get good results, including me.

4 Likes

Do you have hammer 2 source code? Cos if so it’d be sick if you could release a custom editor with an infinite grid size and other fixes like FarZ set higher than the default 32768 units without us having to hack it with a hex editor.

1 Like

Just use source 2 level streaming if you run out of space. :grin:

1 Like

Not the point, I’m talking about the grid not being infinite as you would’ve expected with source 2 it would make sense if it was bigger than 32768x32768x32768 because the actual compilable map size is much larger, valve were just too lazy to make the grid larger.

1 Like

I think it’s still 32768x32768x32768

1 Like

Do you think it would be built into hammer or in game and you can just export it to a hammer file or something like that

1 Like

The actual map size hasn’t got a hardcoded limit, only the grid is set at that size :slight_smile:

1 Like

Garry wants to push large map sizes and player counts, so the maps will get larger eventually.

Facepunch has the full source code for source 2. Sam has already been working hard on changing the shader tools to make them compile and sync at runtime, similar to model doc.

4 Likes