My horror map update (Still WIP)

Hai, here’s some updates i did to my map:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540709683580281527/51373F1C226DFCD8B61A47841DB37DF574B2FF64/

A new room :o But it needs some more detail.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540709683580285039/E01F6369AFB5550F96975EE802A9830AA37CCC23/

Found a cool glass texture and it looks good.
But i should move that decal on the left off the storage sign.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/540709683580290740/BF9FBD76C7044020F6CEA18DE44C47699F7838F4/

Could this be a good atmosphere for a basement? Does it need to be darker? Or wut?

There’s all for now, i will post a update later.

The lamps probably shouldn’t be shining light on the ceiling above them (1st and 3rd pics) when they have lampshades that don’t have any gaps at the top, they’d only be casting light downwards in a cone shaped after the lampshade

For that I’d recommend you move your light entity a bit more downwards, if you want to be fancy you can also put in an extra https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Point_spotlight]Point_spotlight facing downwards with the same color as your normal light entity, play around with the FOV of the light cone and it’s strength, etc

Oh thx

Oh also you probably shouldn’t make a new thread just for this, try the Map Pimpage thread, or maybe one of your old threads where you posted WIPs of your map in

Wait. I can’t move it downwards, then the lamp is too low, and if i rise my roof on the 1st pic, the room would look silly.

[editline]25th May 2013[/editline]

Wow, sry if i reply oddly, my Browser started messing around.

In picture one, what is the point of those internal walls with windows on them?

In picture two, your window looks like its clipping with the wall.

I don’t understand why you would make a new thread for this and not go with the one you made last week.

Firstly, no need for a new thread, use the old one. Whilst i have seen windows on internal walls, usually they are a straight pane of glass with no support bars. Consider using the clear pane of glass instead, maybe make it take up more of that wall, though that might make it look more modern than the rest of the structure. For a house like that, having an intact pane of glass on an inside wall looks a bit odd.
The basement (last image, i assume its the basement) needs a lot of work. There’s a lot of things that look strange. How did that wheeled generator get there, why the double doors, why the dumbwaiter, why does a house have that many control panels and electric boxes, why is the ceiling a grate, why is there no border between the floor and the floor grate.

Here is a lab i did for a competition.

Notice the use of colour and detail. I have a lift with a little bit of a haz lining, cardboard on the floor, skeleton on the keyboard, little details.

Another one i did, not so impressed with this one, but i did make the map in 7 hours.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595832151312317160/2252A90232C2C310314EB4CD4C0C2C750801D733/

Ya, i know. Ima update my oldest post next time. ._.

[editline]26th May 2013[/editline]

Ok ok, 1st, I already yesterday fixed ALMOST all those things you said. Replaced the Grate, replaced the generator with a normal small one, added borders, removed the tiles on the 1st pic, and removed the control panels so i was able to add some props/detail.

Can you describe the setting a little more? I think that is first and foremost when you’re trying to design a horror level. I am actually designing one based on a fairly enclosed and claustrophobic space as well that uses that small space for about 30-45 minutes of gameplay.

Right now you seem to be straddling the line between a cabin in the woods horror satire and a horror environment set in some sort of warehouse complex.

Now if you are just going with a normal type of unfinished basement, think of words that come to mind: Dusty, dark, musty, wet, dirty, uncomfortable. Detail wise you should see lots of structural elements like ceiling beams, the foundation, wiring, piles of junk/ stored debris and the foundation.

As far as lighting goes, you should not be able to clearly see completely around the level. It makes it harder to draw the player’s eye when everything is uniformly lit, and the darkness adds to the sense to closeness and uncertainty, provides ample opportunity to trick their eyesight and naturally begets players to be more reliant on their other sense: hearing. These are your two main tools in conveying other aspects about the environment that the player cannot experience; smell and touch, as well as providing ample opportunity to build atmosphere for a scare rather than just having some gay zombie or dead body fall out of a doorway.

Take footsteps and darkness for example. Imagine the player must find a car battery among junk or move a piece of furniture to get to a hard to reach spot. While they are walking to that setpiece set up a trigger or a timer to play footsteps just out of sync with the player’s own footsteps. Starting a step before and ending a step later from when they stopped and started moving. Have things move or fall or make sound in the peripheral of the player’s vision when they are trying to accomplish some task. Distraction and disorientation are good tools.

But as far as broader sweeping aesthetic choices you should make for your basement; you can have a combination of finished/unfinished elements in your basement, you just really need to convey your style so it doesn’t confuse the player rather than providing a context for the action. You really, really should use some sort of fog effect in combination with both custom particle effects/ dust motes.

And as far as off kilter lighting goes, I would stick to the orange-yellow-brown color pallete with maybe some highlights of blue and green here and there. It adds ‘weight’ to the atmosphere and conveys a sense of dust and age.