my Sauron model has a lighting issue

I have been wanting to get the Shadow of Mordor Sauron model to SFM for quite some time, I basically have succeeded at it but for some reason the lighting on his model, whenever in a session doesn’t work, instead of seeing the full details of the model, he is basically pitch black, how is this fixed?

Whats the .vmt look like? we need pictures. Pictures of the model, .vmt (maybe .qc)

$ModelName “Sauron/Sauron.mdl”

$BodyGroup “Sauron”
{
studio “Sauron_Body.smd”
studio “Sauron_Helm.smd”
studio “Sauron_Eyes.smd”
studio “Sauron_Legs.smd”
}

$SurfaceProp “metal”

$model studio “Sauron_Body.smd”
$model studio “Sauron_Helm.smd”
$model studio “Sauron_Eyes.smd”
$model studio “Sauron_Legs.smd”

$Contents “solid”

$MaxEyeDeflection 90

$MostlyOpaque

$CDMaterials “models/Sauron/”

$CBox 0 0 0 0 0 0

$BBox -13 -13 0 13 13 72

$sequence reference “Sauron_Body.smd” fps 1

http://orig10.deviantart.net/7c4a/f/2016/263/f/7/well_crap_by_morgothzeone666-daia6su.png

“VertexLitGeneric”
{
“$basetexture” “models/Sauron/Body”
“$bumpmap” “models/Sauron/Body_n”
“$basetexture” “models/Sauron/Helm”
“$bumpmap” “models/Sauron/Helm_n”
“$basetexture” “models/Sauron/Legs”
“$bumpmap” “models/Sauron/Legs_n”
“$basetexture” “models/Sauron/Eyes”

"$phong" "1"
"$phongexponent" "55"
"$phongboost" "0.1"	
"$phongfresnelranges"	"[2 3 8]"

}

that looks weird. you usually gotta have a vmt file for every material on the model. body.vmt, helm.vmt. legs.vmt, eyes.vmt. and each of them only gotta have basetexture and bumpmap for this very part of the model. now… what happens if you raise the model a lil above the floor? or for the very effect of fixing this you could define

"$illumposition 0.000 0.000 0.000 "ValveBiped.Bip01_Spine2"

or something similar in the .qc, to make sure the ambient sample is taken from somwhere in the center of the body and good.

you might also check that your normal maps are good. i’m not sure if that ambient light is correct normal mapped.

I,ve managed to try everything you’ve suggested, but even then nothing seems to work

okay. i got no real clue what you did wrong. mine works.

sauron.qc

$modelname "episoder\sauron.mdl"
$cdmaterials "models\episoder\sauron\"

$pushd dmx

$model "sauron" "body"
$model "sauron" "legs"
$model "sauron" "helm"

$mostlyopaque

$illumposition 0.000 0.000 0.000 "Upper_Torso"

$sequence idle "body" fps 1

$popd

and sample vmt

vertexlitgeneric
{
	$basetexture "models\episoder\sauron\sauron_body_dif"
	$bumpmap "models\episoder\sauron\sauron_body_n"

$phong 1
	$phongboost 1
	$phongexponent 32
	$phongfresnelranges "[.2 .7 1]"
}

maybe you seriously gotta check the normal maps. i can’t guess how you made them. i did just that shuffle thing. 0-iR-0-G to R-G-1

the other models are just for ambient testing purpose. the groot doesn’t look that great. :v:

yeah I recently figured out that it was because the normal maps were… green, that’s pretty much how I can explain that, but can I ask how you got his kilt (or skirt) to look the way it does without it looking completely transparent, because every time I’ve added “translucent 1” into the vmt’s for his kilt, and the cloak I recently added for my Sauron, it looks like this

http://pre09.deviantart.net/3827/th/pre/f/2016/307/7/c/cringy_transparent_cloth_that_need_fixing_by_morgothzeone666-dan7223.png

so do you have any advice for this issue? oh by the way sorry I did not respond sooner, I just got caught up in one problem after another

okay. if you got semi- or transparent materials you gotta add ‘$mostlyopaque’ to the qc. i think i also used ‘$alphatest 1’ in that vmt instead of translucent. it renders quicker.

that is strange, I put $alphatest in the vmt’s, and ‘$mostlyopaque’ is in my qc… hmmm, well I think i’ll update you if anything changes, because I thin I need to work on the qc a bit
update: nothings changed, sadly

Hey I understand my question may be strange but how do you convert normal maps from green to purple ?

I used crazybump, it has done me a lot of favors when it comes to green normal maps