Named light_spot doesn't work properly (light gets cut)

Hi, I’m currently having a problem with 2 of my light_spot entities. Here’s what it looks like:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/27347362372712658/F3B1AA49D243C49ED00C7AF92A301F3679E221C7/1024x576.resizedimage

After about 1 hour of experimenting by removing brushes, models and entities, it came to me by surprise that if I don’t give the light_spot entities a name (empty field) it looks as suposed to:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/27347362373160540/2E5C57705B47D3451BAA3ADFC2EB09FBFBC744B5/1024x576.resizedimage

But like this, I can’t control the lights with a button, which is kind of important for these lights.

Any ideas?

By the way, where the light cuts off, there is no brush/entity/model that starts or ends at that position in the map.

Use light_dynamic. It has a spotlight and quadratic light built in.

Thanks, it worked. Although it doesn’t look as good as light_spot in my opinion. Couldn’t find any option to give the light_dynamic more “focus” like you can set in the light_spot.

By the way, I found out that moving my map around the grid the black part moves around as well but can’t make it disappear completely. Tried turning the map 90 and 180 degrees but the results were the same.

I noticed with some entities , if you turn off smart edit, and copy a key and apply it to a like entity, sometimes you will get some desired results. For instance with a sky_camera, I needed my fog to be a density of 0.2, but there isn’t an option for it. So I copied the key from a env_fog_controller and it worked fine.

The reason named lights look crap is because they don’t bounce in radiosity calculations. Only one set of rays is emitted from the origin lighting entity, and whatever face they hit is the end of the calculation. So whichever faces are lit will be lit and whichever faces that aren’t lit will be completely black. Further degrading the light quality is compression done on the lightmap data. This results in fairly noticeable “color banding” that is especially prevalent on blue and red light color.

Normal lights will have rays bounce 8 times from the source, which creates darker ambient light in unlit areas.

Named lights not bouncing is a limitation of Valve’s radiosity implementation and can’t be changed without costly side effects.

You can fake ambient light using tricks. In addition to the named light_spot, add a regular light entity with the same name and of the same color as the spot, but only set the brightness to like 5-15. Then set “quadratic” to 0 and “linear” to 1 in the light’s keyvalues. You may have to play with the brightness a bit to get the ambient light to look right and not be too bright.

I have tried that but apparently the focus key (_exponent) changes nothing on a light_dynamic. Anyway I ended up using light_dynamic after all. I’m not even sure anymore but I think that it looks more realistic with light_dynamic? Here’s how it is right now:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/28473805868179770/C592112B57E578F68E73FE6D2612F4F6386ADBE4/1024x576.resizedimage

Yes, it’s too bright gotta tune it down.

[editline]14th November 2014[/editline]

I thought about doing this but for some reason thought it would be harsh on performance although I know a static light shouldn’t be a problem. Oh well, if I for some reason get fed up with the light_dynamic, I’ll use this method.

Thanks for your help guys.

Also sorry for the late reply, have been busy with stuff.

Dynamic light from light_dynamic is much more expensive and will result in much lower frame rates than using radiosity based light_spot or light entities.

Older and slower machines will be more adversely affected by the light_dynamic as well.