Need assistance with particle effects.

I’m making a flamethrower which requires the particles to be attached to the viewmodel, yet if I use ParticleEffectAttach none of the attachments line up correctly to the muzzle and as far as I can see there is no way to allow for an offset. The other issue I have is that the particles I am using do not have any die time/ do not fade out. Therefore I have to run self:StopParticles() every half a second or so which makes the effect look rather ‘patchy’ and is not exactly efficient; if I were not to use Entity:StopParticles() the emitter would emit constantly.

Furthermore, the particle does not even correctly follow the viewmodel, yet seems to snap to every approximately 15 degrees as I turn.
I have tried to open the .pcf file for the particles in the Particle Editor yet will not allow me to with the error: “No particle system loaded”.

ParticleEffectAttach( 'flamethrower', PATTACH_POINT_FOLLOW, self, 1 )
ParticleEffectAttach( 'flamethrower_heat', PATTACH_POINT_FOLLOW, self, 1 )
ParticleEffectAttach( 'flamethrower_smoke_1', PATTACH_POINT_FOLLOW, self, 1 )

The position of the muzzle:

self.Owner:GetShootPos() + self.Owner:EyeAngles():Forward() * 50 + self.Owner:EyeAngles():Right() * 7 - self.Owner:EyeAngles():Up() * 15

And the angle would of course be self.Owner:EyeAngles().

Any help would be greatly appreciated as for this is my first dealing weapon particles, and quite a troublesome one indeed; thanks.

• [GGS] 92carmnad

I forgot to mention that

ParticleEffectAttach( 'flamethrower', PATTACH_POINT_FOLLOW, self, 1 )
ParticleEffectAttach( 'flamethrower_heat', PATTACH_POINT_FOLLOW, self, 1 )
ParticleEffectAttach( 'flamethrower_smoke_1', PATTACH_POINT_FOLLOW, self, 1 )

looks fine to others and when you use a camera, fire, and resume back to the first person holding the flamethrower - it lines up correctly to the muzzle. It doesn’t work properly when in first person and firing however, and appears to be shooting out of your feet.

Probably a dumb advise, but in E2 when you are creating holo weapon, you have to create 2 weapon models: for your firstperson view and for thirdperson (and other players ofc). Maybe you can detect players view and switch between positions

If that’s the case then the issue is with your viewmodel. You are probably attempting to attach the effect to an attachment that doesn’t exist and/or is misaligned (which in your case is attachment 1). Since the attachment exists in the worldmodel, however, it works fine without problems.