Need help compiling a headhack

I got an error about the head bone when I compiled. Here is the log.

GUIStudioMDL 2.2/Source - © 2007 Neil 'Jed' Jedrzejewski - http://www.wunderboy.org/

Loaded QC file - "C:\Users\Ryan\Desktop\Grunt_Male02\models\Lillwasa\mdldecompiler.qc"

Created command line: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps
ayr7259\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\studiomdl.exe" -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps
ayr7259\half-life 2\hl2" -notxbox C:\Users\Ryan\Desktop\Grunt_Male02\models\Lillwasa\mdldecompiler.qc

qdir:    "c:\users\ryan\desktop\grunt_male02\models\lillwasa\"
gamedir: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps
ayr7259\half-life 2\hl2\"
g_path:  "mdldecompiler"
Working on "mdldecompiler.qc"
SMD MODEL C:\Users\Ryan\Desktop\Grunt_Male02\models\Lillwasa/grunt_male02.smd
SMD MODEL C:\Users\Ryan\Desktop\Grunt_Male02\models\Lillwasa/ragdoll.smd
SMD MODEL C:\Users\Ryan\Desktop\Grunt_Male02\models\Lillwasa/phymodel.smd
ERROR: cannot find bone ValveBiped.Bip01_Head1 for bbox
ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'Lillwasa	urokgrunt_male02.mdl'

I was head hacking male 02 onto a turok grunt. I didn’t move the models around at all in 3ds max. I just switched the heads without moving the model. Anybody know what to do? Anyone?

[editline]08:08PM[/editline]

Please help me. I really want to get this to work.

Looks like the head isn’t rigged to the head bone which results in the bone being completely removed. Bones that don’t have anything rigged on them usually get removed during the export process and/or compile process.

Yea you need to rig the neck of the head to the neck bone and the rest of the head to the head bone (if there is no neck bone rig the neck to the chest). Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Thanks it works now. I have the eye texture problem though. Do I have to add any path to the qc to find the eye textures?

np :slight_smile: The eye textures is because in order to compile it you will likely have had to remove (or not add) the lines of code that define where the eyes are (as they will have moved most likely), so nothing is defining the “eyes” material type as a texture, therefore you get no eye texture. I had to make a custom eye texture for my head in a jar due to this, but it would technically be possible to implement the eye posing if you defined the new location (see this for help)

Then how did Evil-Ash do this? http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=818322

I replied to your mp. :wink:

By adding in the head attachment and setting up the eye locations like I said?

I proceed almost as here !

Yea I used that as a reference when I first did it, but it doesn’t even tell you to rig the head or how to make the eye posing work (unless its said later on in it).

Actually it only works on that specific type of model. I head hacked the citizen head with a ct body and I didn’t have to do eye posing or any rigging.

How exactly?

I don’t really know. The citizen model on the body already had face posing on it before I took off the helmet.

Did you rig the body of the CT to the citizen skeleton or the citizen head to the skeleton of the CT?

I don’t remember. I did exactly the same thing Taggart did in his tut. So I rigged the citizen head onto the skeleton of the CT even though I didn’t really rig anything.

If its the same skeleton you don’t have to rig it (it will be rigged to the same place it was on its own version of the skeleton), i forgot it did that until I did some riggin like this a min ago ^^

When you have decompiled the citizen, have you a stuf named “mdldecompile_expression.vta” in the folder where you have the smd, qc, etc… ?

Yup.

Do you use the QC from the citizen for compile your head hack ?