Need help for starter in creating custom MDL animation

So my goal is to create some NPC animation like Umpa did with his dance animation pack. Basically I know how to get his animation work with almost all models (including Gman, Alyx and Eli which he said it wouldn’t be possible without recompiling the model). Now I am trying to create my own custom animation.

I looked through Source SDK folder and found this human_sdk folder, with bunch of SMD files. My question is where should I start? Which *.smd should I use? And does it will works on all Valve models (or at least HL2 citizens, because most custom NPC are based on it)? FYI I am planning to use Blender for animation, I found some tutorial that helpful.

Thank you.

Kaay so I should figure it out by myself :v:

I succeeded into creating my test animation in Blender tho, but I realized that the sample models on Source SDK does not have bones for faceposing and proper fingers. Do you think that I should decompile a model from HL2 for my animation purpose?
Also there’s no sample SMD for female bones.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/603520_3620113857528_734869630_n.jpg

the models don’t have bone for faceposing because non exist. they use what’s called Vertex animation, or flex animation.