[Need Help] Noob modeling problems

Hello, I need some help with this, I made a custom model in blender and managed to port it to source, but for the love of god, I can’t make it use the textures. Blender is not clear about what the texture name the model thinks its using, and I can’t figure out how to make it accept my vtm and vtf files. If it matters, is the problem that I used a PNG file? Or do i just not know how the fuck texture names work with source? Please help me, I want to use my model. If its any help, here is all of my code for it:

My VTM file:

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
	"$baseTexture" "models/Shadow"
	"$model" 1
}

My compile QC file:

$modelname	"Shadows\FirstModel.mdl"
$cdmaterials	"models\Shadow"
$body studio	"Cube.smd"
$staticprop
$surfaceprop	combine_metal

$sequence idle	"Cube.smd"

My texture is named UVLayout.png
so what do i name/where do i put my Vtf and VTM files?

I could be wrong, but here’s my understanding:

If the name of your material in Blender is UVLayout.png, when you export and compile, the model will be looking for “UVLayout.vmt”. As I understand it, it ditches whatever extension you gave it in blender and tacks .vmt onto it.

Now, in your QC file, your have your materials directory as models\shadow. That means the model will be looking for UVLayout.vmt in “materials\models\shadow”.

In your current vmt file, it’s looking for the texture “Shadow.vtf” in the “materials\models” directory. .VTF files can be in different directories than the VMT, though they usually shouldn’t be. Since I’m going to guess your .VTF file is probably in the shadow subdirectory of models, the path should be “models/shadow/whateveryourtexturenameis”. You don’t have to add .vtf. It knows you mean vtf. And if your texture file is not a VTF, you should make it one.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.

Yes, that helps, but I’m not sure if it’s working right due to me having it in the SFM usermod folder. Is that a problem?

[editline]26th July 2012[/editline]

It didn’t help, in the SFM Half life model viewer, i just get a purple black checker, no matter how i set it up.

[editline]26th July 2012[/editline]

OMGOMGOMG I Figured it out! Thank god half life model viewer tells you whats happening! It said it couldn’t find the VMT, BUT It said what material it was trying to use and BAM! I found out what it wanted! Now it works! YAY!

Alright, I now need more help, I can not make the model stop spitting out WARNING: Model has 2-dimensional geometry (less than 0.500 inches thick on any axis)!!! I don’t know why my collision model is being so dumb. Help please

Fatten up the collision model a bit on its thinnest axis. If it’s too small, it won’t compile.

@RTB, My collision model is fat as crap already, it isn’t that. Is it possibly the fact that it touches into itself?

I don’t think so. Just as an experiment, make a copy of the collision model, and make the segment 200% larger just to see if it compiles. If it doesn’t, then it might be a different problem.

I heard that this error generally comes from not the same smoothing groups, but i don’t know what smoothing group is being used that is different

Let me put this: this is how my qc script is:
I think that part of my thing is messed up.

$modelname	"Shadows\FirstModel.mdl"
$cdmaterials	"models\Shadow"
$body studio	"Cube.smd"
$staticprop
$surfaceprop	Stone.Huge

$collisionmodel "Phys.smd"
{
   $automass
   $concave
}

$keyvalues
{
	prop_data
	{
		base			Stone.Huge
		health 			0
	}
}

$sequence   idle	"Cube.smd" // no animation wanted, so re-using the reference mesh