Need help optimizing

I have almost finished a map Im working, but it needs optimizing badly. I get very low FPS in some places. My system is more than capable of running HL2. I know it just map my is not optimized.

If I send you them VMF could someone who knows what they’re doing have a look at for me and tell me what could be causing this. I’m not asking you to do the work for me, just for someone to have a look at the map and tell me where I’ve gone wrong and what I could do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and of course you will be added to the final credits.

You should take a look at this
http://optimization.interlopers.net/

Is this gm_deathrock you’re talking about?

Yeah. How come?

I’m still having a huge headache over this optimization thing. I think I know whats causing it.

All the props in the map are being rendered even when there out of view i.e behind a wall. I’ve added in hint and skips, but they still dont seem to work.

It is probably me doing something wrong. Also, one quick question. Would this FPS problem be because I’m only doing a Fast compile? If I did a Full or Normal compile would this fix the FPS problem? Because I noticed it does the Areaportal part very quickly.

Note: There’s no FPS problems in this example because I cordend off a small section of the map.

Here’s a video to show you whats happening:

add areaportals.

Yeah, areaportals and occluders are your best friend. Though, I don’t recall using occluders as much.

Black: Brushes
Red: Func_detail
Blue: Hint
Light blue: Skip

Thanks for your advice so far. I understand how the hint texture and areaportals work. I originally thought it was props being drawn that was causing the low fps(which only is a problem in one area, the rest of the map is fine). I’ve setup hints and areaportals which are now working as they should, but the problem area still gives me low fps.

I then though maybe it was the lightmaps, so I increased them to 64 where I could mainly on the grass where I dont need detailed shadows. But yet still, I get low fps.

Here is a screenshot of the problem areas:
http://www.meikledesign.co.uk/host/screenshots/gm_deathrock_v10004.jpg
http://www.meikledesign.co.uk/host/screenshots/gm_deathrock_v10004.jpg

Then second screenshot “gm_deathrock_v10004” is in a room under the grass in the first screenshot. I only get low fps when I look at the ceiling.

This is now holding me back for releasing this map. Apart from this I only need to do a few final tweaks and tidy up the map a little and its pretty much done.

[editline]31st May 2011[/editline]

Yeah, thanks :). But I thought occluders were used to hide NPCs? Correct me if I am wrong.

Occluders hide every entity behind it, but they are somewhat heavy to use, so don’t use it unless they actually hide a lot.

Maybe the compile log will help:

[hide]
** Executing…
** Command: “b:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sebsinclair_uk\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “b:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sebsinclair_uk\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” “e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul 7 2010)
2 threads
materialPath: b:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sebsinclair_uk\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\materials
Loading e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn’t point to an existing ConVar
Could not locate ‘GameData’ key in b:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sebsinclair_uk\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\gameinfo.txt
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_deathrock_v1/nature/blendrocksgrass005a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_deathrock_v1/nature/blendsandsand008a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_deathrock_v1/nature/blenddirtgrass008b_lowfriction_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_deathrock_v1/nature/blendrockgrass004a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_deathrock_v1/nature/blendsandgrass008a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/gm_deathrock_v1/nature/blendsandrock004a_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)

FindPortalSide: Couldn’t find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-973.0 -28.0 19.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 57673: Brush 14898:

Processing areas…
Brush 261173: areaportal brush doesn’t touch two areas
Wrote e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.lin
Areaportal leak ! File: e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.lin

Brush 261172: areaportal brush doesn’t touch two areas

Brush 261174: areaportal brush doesn’t touch two areas

done (0)
Building Faces…done (1)
Chop Details…done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides…
Merged 100 detail faces…done (0)
Merging details…done (0)
FixTjuncs…
PruneNodes…
WriteBSP…
done (1)
writing e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.prt…Building visibility clusters…
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_09*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_09*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors…
Found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges.
Finding lightmap sample positions…
Displacement Alpha : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Building Physics collision data…
done (12) (183947 bytes)
Error! To use model “models/props_lab/bigrock.mdl”
with prop_static, it must be compiled with $staticprop!
Error loading studio model “models/props_lab/bigrock.mdl”!
Error loading studio model “”!
Placing detail props : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…Material NATURE/BLENDGRASSGRAVEL002A uses unknown detail object type coastline_redgrass02!
Material NATURE/BLENDSANDSAND008A uses unknown detail object type coastline_grass01!
Material NATURE/BLENDSANDSAND008A uses unknown detail object type coastline_grass01!
Material NATURE/BLENDROCKGRASS004A uses unknown detail object type coastline_redgrass01!
Material NATURE/BLENDROCKGRASS004A uses unknown detail object type coastline_redgrass01!
.Material NATURE/BLENDROCKGRASS004A uses unknown detail object type coastline_redgrass01!
9Material NATURE/BLENDROCKGRASS004A uses unknown detail object type coastline_redgrass01!
.Material NATURE/BLENDROCKGRASS004A uses unknown detail object type coastline_redgrass01!
Material NATURE/BLENDSANDGRASS008A uses unknown detail object type coastline_grass01!
Compacting texture/material tables…
Reduced 1465 texinfos to 680
Reduced 165 texdatas to 122 (6611 bytes to 4525)
Writing e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.bsp
28 seconds elapsed
5.435600 -315.315582 0.000000
5.130800 -315.264801 0.000000
5.130800 -315.315582 0.000000
5.486400 -315.315582 0.000000
make_triangles:calc_triangle_representation: Cannot convert
6.180080 -286.105591 0.000000
6.287617 -286.054810 0.000000
6.338278 -286.054810 0.000000
6.185203 -286.054810 0.000000
5.537200 -225.221802 0.000000
5.486400 -225.221802 0.000000
6.146800 -225.221802 0.000000
5.588000 -225.323395 0.000000
5.537200 -225.221802 0.000000
5.486400 -225.221802 0.000000
6.146800 -225.221802 0.000000
5.588000 -225.323395 0.000000

** Executing…
** Command: “b:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sebsinclair_uk\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe”
** Parameters: -fast -game “b:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sebsinclair_uk\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” “e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jul 7 2010)
fastvis = true
2 threads
reading e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.bsp
reading e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.prt
1011 portalclusters
2889 numportals
BasePortalVis: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (2)
Optimized: 56989 visible clusters (0.00%)
Total clusters visible: 827455
Average clusters visible: 818
Building PAS…
Average clusters audible: 1008
visdatasize:261253 compressed from 258816
writing e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.bsp
3 seconds elapsed

** Executing…
** Command: “b:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sebsinclair_uk\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe”
** Parameters: -bounce 2 -noextra -game “b:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sebsinclair_uk\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” “e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jul 7 2010)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     

2 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[48 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.bsp
Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure… Done (41.40 seconds)
5412 faces
2 degenerate faces
8314039 square feet [1197221632.00 square inches]
675 Displacements
927088 Square Feet [133500680.00 Square Inches]
5410 patches before subdivision
239864 patches after subdivision
69 direct lights
BuildFacelights: 0…
WARNING: Too many light styles on a face at (-60.000000, 1259.000000, 212.000000)
1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (148)
BuildVisLeafs: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (302)
transfers 38804300, max 915
transfer lists: 296.1 megs
GatherLight: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (1)
Bounce #1 added RGB(186250, 224157, 150933)
GatherLight: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (1)
Bounce #2 added RGB(21349, 26215, 14721)
Build Patch/Sample Hash Table(s)…Done<0.2435 sec>
FinalLightFace: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (44)
FinalLightFace Done
0 of 0 (0% of) surface lights went in leaf ambient cubes.
ThreadComputeLeafAmbient: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (40)
Writing leaf ambient…done
Ready to Finish

Object names Objects/Maxobjs Memory / Maxmem Fullness

models 27/1024 1296/49152 ( 2.6%)
brushes 690/8192 8280/98304 ( 8.4%)
brushsides 4615/65536 36920/524288 ( 7.0%)
planes 3582/65536 71640/1310720 ( 5.5%)
vertexes 9776/65536 117312/786432 (14.9%)
nodes 2264/65536 72448/2097152 ( 3.5%)
texinfos 680/12288 48960/884736 ( 5.5%)
texdata 122/2048 3904/65536 ( 6.0%)
dispinfos 675/0 118800/0 ( 0.0%)
disp_verts 189251/0 3785020/0 ( 0.0%)
disp_tris 334848/0 669696/0 ( 0.0%)
disp_lmsamples 1112452/0 1112452/0 ( 0.0%)
faces 5412/65536 303072/3670016 ( 8.3%)
hdr faces 0/65536 0/3670016 ( 0.0%)
origfaces 2176/65536 121856/3670016 ( 3.3%)
leaves 2292/65536 73344/2097152 ( 3.5%)
leaffaces 5983/65536 11966/131072 ( 9.1%)
leafbrushes 1942/65536 3884/131072 ( 3.0%)
areas 4/256 32/2048 ( 1.6%)
surfedges 34250/512000 137000/2048000 ( 6.7%)
edges 19600/256000 78400/1024000 ( 7.7%)
LDR worldlights 69/8192 6072/720896 ( 0.8%)
HDR worldlights 0/8192 0/720896 ( 0.0%)
leafwaterdata 9/32768 108/393216 ( 0.0%)
waterstrips 419/32768 4190/327680 ( 1.3%)
waterverts 0/65536 0/786432 ( 0.0%)
waterindices 10620/65536 21240/131072 (16.2%)
cubemapsamples 14/1024 224/16384 ( 1.4%)
overlays 0/512 0/180224 ( 0.0%)
LDR lightdata [variable] 19472424/0 ( 0.0%)
HDR lightdata [variable] 0/0 ( 0.0%)
visdata [variable] 261253/16777216 ( 1.6%)
entdata [variable] 135705/393216 (34.5%)
LDR ambient table 2292/65536 9168/262144 ( 3.5%)
HDR ambient table 2292/65536 9168/262144 ( 3.5%)
LDR leaf ambient 10433/65536 292124/1835008 (15.9%)
HDR leaf ambient 2292/65536 64176/1835008 ( 3.5%)
occluders 0/0 0/0 ( 0.0%)
occluder polygons 0/0 0/0 ( 0.0%)
occluder vert ind 0/0 0/0 ( 0.0%)
detail props [variable] 1/12 ( 8.3%)
static props [variable] 1/31940 ( 0.0%)
pakfile [variable] 1612721/0 ( 0.0%)
physics [variable] 183947/4194304 ( 4.4%)
physics terrain [variable] 565204/1048576 (53.9%)

Level flags = 0

Total triangle count: 14706
Writing e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.bsp
9 minutes, 41 seconds elapsed

** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.bsp” “b:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sebsinclair_uk\half-life 2 episode two\ep2\maps\gm_deathrock_v1.bsp”

** Executing…
** Command: “b:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sebsinclair_uk\half-life 2 episode two\hl2.exe”
** Parameters: -sw -allowdebug -game “b:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\sebsinclair_uk\half-life 2 episode two\ep2” +r_hunkalloclightmaps 0 +map “gm_deathrock_v1”
[/hide]

To quote the error checker…

PROBLEM: fastvis = true

Description:
You seem to be running vvis in -fast mode. This is okay for testing purposes, but mind that this will cause:

-Strange compile errors, like ‘cluster saw into cluster’ errors
-Strange errors ingame (including unexpected crashes)
-Hitting limits ingame, by skipping essential optimization processses
-Lower performance ingame

Solution:
If you experience any of these problems, and don’t have any specific clues for the cause, please try to compile without the -fast option, see if that helps. If compiling without -fast is taking too long /seems to crash vvis, you may need to optimize your map using func_detail.

See if that makes any difference, although there is a lot wrong with this map. Also, occluders are calculated on the fly by the client so unless they’re hiding a scrapheap of high poly props, its not worth using them.

I could have a look at the VMF if you uploaded it somewhere, I don’t think these problems could be solved remotely.

I tried a normal compile and it didn’t help. I’ve just been using Interloopers error checker and going though each one and fixing it. Trouble with doing a normal compile is it takes about 17 hours, which I’m guessing is because my map is not optimized.

I’ll try and fix the errors flagged by Interloopers and see if it fixes it.

Areaportal leak ! File: e:\backup\saved work\half life 2 maps\gm_deathrock_v1.lin

Brush 261172: areaportal brush doesn’t touch two areas

map>load point file

If area portal’s can get to the other side of itself, as in sees itself, it wont compile.
Make sure to have areaportals touching BRUSHES not func_detail entities.

Yeah, that was weird. The map still compiled and loaded. But it caused some VERY strange things to happen in game. Thank anyway man.

I’m getting there slowly. The one thing I don’t quite know how to do is how to use the hints. I mean I know how they work in small rooms and corridors but how would I use them in open areas? Or can you not do this? I have a func_visleafcluster over my displacement cliffs… is that how your supposed to use them?

Take a look at this screenshot of my map:
http://www.meikledesign.co.uk/host/screenshots/gm_deathrock_v10003.jpg

Could I break up the visleafs in the outer area using hints? Or am I now quite understanding how hints break up the visleafs?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but you don’t know till you ask.

To be honest, no-one can walk you through the use of optimisation specifically for this map. For general help look at http://optimization.interlopers.net/ and if you are still up for someone looking through the VMF, I’ll have a look through it.

It’s one of those things that’s hard to explain, you just have to know it.