Need some help importing models to garrys mod. I'm halfway there. Am I on the right track?

Hello forum :slight_smile:

First of all, I’m new to steam. I fancy myself a bit of a 3D animation freak, and upon seeing the new "Meet the Medic video advertizing Team Fortress 2 to be free, I decided to download steam and download the game. In order to invite friends to my account, I had to actually BUY something on steam, so I bought Garrys Mod because I figured it would be cool to import some of my own 3d models to play with. (it was 75% off and got it for $2.45 :smiley: )

Anyhoo, I did some googling to find out that I could export my obj file and use a program called obj-2-smd to get a smd file and a qc file that need to be compiled into another format.

This is when I found guistudiomdl_2.2

This program requires that I set up my sdk tool paths… this is where I hit a snag. The readme says:

How to Use

The first time you run GUIStudioMDL you will get a message telling you that your
SDK Tool Paths aren’t yet set. What you need to do is tell it where the studiomdl.exe
is located for EP1 based games and Orange Box based games. These are usually located
in the following folders:
\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin <- EP1 Tools
\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin <- Orange Box Tools

I apparently did not have said tool paths anywhere that I could find on my computer, so I looked up sdk on google, and downloaded sdk from adfly. I am assuming it was a free program. I installed it, and from there, i was able to find the sourcesdk\bin, but nowhere in there do I have a ep1\bin or orangebox\bin folders in the sourcesdk bin folder.

What am I missing? It is looking to me like I have to buy the orange box and half life ep1 in order to get anything to work.

I couldn’t find any other answers on google, so I googled harder and ended up at this forum. :smiley:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TY

This tutorial explains alot for beginners. Watch his videos and read some of the posts. http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=542906

I think you need to get the orange box (hl2, hl2:ep1, hl2:ep2) to have those folders along with their content.