New server, what now?

I just got a new 12 slot server and im not sure what gamemode to make it, what would people like to see?

Well for now its gonna be a build server, i have the rough server up, just need admins.
http://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/69.197.190.48:27015/b_560_95_1.png

Sandbox with active (and good) admins.

Well what kind of restrictions? im willing to try anything, and i need admins

Kinda should’ve though things trough before buying it.

I’d say Floodmod, it’s always nice to see new servers where everyone hasn’t got RPG’s 'n expensive shit.

ive never tried flood mod, ive tried Spacebuild and sandbox and TTT all fun

[editline]23rd March 2011[/editline]

so what exactly is flood?

Make a flood mod without a save system tbh…

Like the old CSS WC3 servers, they had fun settings that allowed everyone to start at $0 on map chanege. But you would level at an increased speed.

I’ve never done a flood gamemode so I don’t know how to set it up or anything

Just host good ol’ sandbox with the usual building addons.

What about like twisted metal/death race? Would be done by using spacebuild weapons on cars, could do teams of 2 one drives on shoots or 6 drivers and 6 people to shoot at the cars and activate stargates and so on

Dead server.

thats fair, so its between flood, SB, or Build. im open to any

Posted in your other thread, but I guess ill just move it here for the sake of retyping.

sorry about that, but on that note Tornado what are some good options then?

sbox_weapons 0
sbox_plpldamage 0
sbox_maxprops 100
sbox_maxragdolls 0
sbox_maxnpcs 0
sbox_maxballoons 10
sbox_maxeffects 0
sbox_maxdynamite 0
sbox_maxlamps 5
sbox_maxthrusters 20
sbox_maxwheels 20
sbox_maxhoverballs 20
sbox_maxvehicles 1
sbox_maxbuttons 20

I wanna know what addons to get?
i have Evolve installed and set up but what else?

Well for the basic cvars, its really up to you, I prefer less limits but that’s just me.

Here’s what I have set.

"sbox_maxprops"		"250"
	"sbox_maxragdolls"		"5"
	"sbox_maxnpcs"			"5"
	"sbox_maxballoons"		"20"
	"sbox_maxeffects"		"20"
	"sbox_maxdynamite"		"10"
	"sbox_maxlamps"	        "10"
	"sbox_maxthrusters"		"20"
	"sbox_maxwheels"		        "20"
	"sbox_maxhoverballs"            "20"
	"sbox_maxvehicles"		"10"
	"sbox_maxbuttons"	        "20"
	"sbox_maxsents"	        "20"
	"sbox_maxemitters"		"10"
	"sbox_maxspawners"		"5"
	"sbox_maxturrets"	       "8"         

As I said, I prefer less limits, but its really up to you and if your server can support it, most of the time the limits are not reached, but you never know.

From the old Admin article on the GMod Wiki

**“A good rule of thumb is that you always need to keep the theoretical maximum of any number in mind, so if you have a dynamite limit of say 10 and a max player limit of 6, then expect a maximum of 60 dynamite. This is obviously a VERY bad thing in terms of gameplay and server performance, so this and any other number will want to be kept down.”

As far as sbox_weapons go, I don’t mind them on but they can get annoying, if you choose to keep them disabled you should really add the Gravity gun and the crowbar to the weapons that get loaded by default.

On sandbox just find its init file

garrysmod/gamemodes/sandbox/gamemode/init.lua

Look around lines 112-114 … of course if you want to edit the loadout to your liking look around lines 77-110

With Evolve, I’d stick to basic ranks like guests, members, admins etc… Don’t restrict everything, keep most tools open to guests, save the sweps and tools that could become a problem if guests had them for the members/respected group… but I’d avoid blocking things like E2 for guests though, but its your choice.

Here are some useful addons, ill try to find all the download links for them.
[ul]
Wiremod
Wiremod Extras
SmartSnap (Tried to find a better link, didn’t have much luck but this one works)
PHX-Tools
Smart Constraint
Smart Freezer
Wenlis Tools
Stacker Tool
Weight Tool
Super Multi Parent
Fin2
Door Stool
Waterizer
Anti NoClip
Unbreakable Tool
Special Effects v1.5
PAC
PlayX
** Prop Protection ** - There are a few I know of. (Pick only one prop protection, don’t install all of them…)
Simple Prop Protection
Falco’s Prop Protection
Wolf Prop Protection
[/ul]
Another good place to look would be Here.

FastDL

If you have web space FastDL would be a good idea to use, prevents most exploits and allows you to send files from your server a lot faster.

Here is a link to the GMod wiki page and a tutorial I attempted to make.

[ul]
sv_downloadurl Wiki
My Tutorial
[/ul]
Just remember, even if you have FastDL enabled its still not a good idea to force the server to send unneeded models and materials, as I said before leave the downloading of large models packs up to the client. Certain addons may send files but most of the time they are needed, just remember to upload those files to the FastDL server as well if you have it enabled.

That’s just a few tips I wanted to share, there is a long list of things you can do, be sure to read the wiki when you get stuck on something, I still look at it from time to time, would not be a bad idea either to explore all the cvars and things you can set such as the tickrate and the maxrate etc…

** Other useful links **

HLSW - Great program for monitoring your server and using Rcon outside of game.
Tickrate, and other SRCDS FAQs - I believe you can lo longer set the tirckrate, not completely sure on that but for a GMod Build server you don’t have to worry, a lower tickrate is better anyway. Its still good to read up on some of it though.
Evolve Plugins
Server Cvars

Hope some of this helps you out… sorry for the bad post structure, I’m pretty tired at the moment, I may fix some things later.

Well i have it up roughly now, i need some admins

IP?

69.197.190.48:27015

Map does not seem to download :S

do you know the code of line to change?

[editline]25th March 2011[/editline]

there i changed the map

[editline]25th March 2011[/editline]

when people leave theres props stay behind, why?

You need a prop protection addon. Try using Simple Prop Protection (Ill add that to my post above)… There are others such as Falco’s Prop protection as well.