New trello card Some features they are going to try

here are a couple of things

You just need the new sleeping bag And fish are you’re all set Mrknifey. lol

I not sure about the indoor torches, we have hand torch and exterior ground pole torches both the same design why would the internal torch be different? and it’s the most basic forms of transportable and controllable light.

i think oil or fat lamps should be a the second form of light you can make only if you find the correct vessel,

and i don’t know what garry is on about how could anyone say this is too minecrafty, unless we are going to get Lego brick monsters, or OXO cube monsters to fight with the spud mutants.

hmmm mash and gravy i know what i am having for tea

I think that what Garry means by “Minecrafty” torches is just sticking the torch directly to the wall at an angle. He probably wants to add a torch sconce or something

Damn, that is a pretty nice looking fishing pole for one made out of a stick. :stuck_out_tongue: Looking forward to fishing! Will be nice to have a possible easier source of food when starting off as a beginner.

[editline]2nd June 2014[/editline]

It is possible that is what he meant. I just remember he used that same logic for removing zombies, which was a bit asinine. Would have been better to just say he does not like the features personally, instead of making weird comparisons like these.

So talking about light and torches, I just wanted to share this podcast on the history of light. Essentially using methods such as torches, lamps, etc. an entire day’s work for most people couldn’t really buy you more than 10 or 20 minutes of light until the development of kerosene at which point an entire day’s work will get you about 5 hours of light. Now this is of course really interesting for a lot of reasons. But for gameplay obviously we’re going to cut corners, we’re not going to make someone spend 50% of a game day just to light his little one-room cabin for only 10% of the game night. That said, light should still be very expensive, night should be dark and rather frightening for most people as it was for the vast majority of human history until we got power plants and electric lights.

or maybe
Tallow created from animal hard fats, could be used to waterproof cloth or wood or to waterproof a boat instead of a dope, or make candles and the primary source is already in game (animals).

And about a flame arrow?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAfEa6zxqugGK3mmvNqwwo5QCHjpR6dIIJr3HRpLEFFqwcvJ--

I think is a good idea, you can you can brighten the area around you and burn people :smiley:

Iv’e actually managed to do some fishing with a twig and some wire before so a simple stick with thread or a strong wire is definitely not moving away from realism here :stuck_out_tongue:

They discussed this on their trello a while back, it’d be sweet to have that as an option :smiley:

solar garden lights would be cool. not bright enough to shine light at anything but enough to find your way around in the dark

I think this is too much “technological”, but you gave me an ideia, maybe we could get some of these organisms bioluminescence in the beach and put inside in pots to illuminate a minor area:

Other pictures:

I think bio-luminescence is about the least technological option, aside from perhaps some firefies in a bottle.

Whoa whoa, tiki torches?!

Sievers! We can finally make a camp and sing Kumbaya without being attacked.

I hope the kettle cooker is 1 object. Would be painful to adjust the item over a campfire by itself.

Think fishing was always going to come.

Can I join? I have an acoustic guitar and a badass microphone, it’ll only sound slightly shitty over in game voice chat.

Understood, but, it’s biological, it’s the nature, none make by human.

Your idea is cool too, but, how to catch them? Maybe finding some swarm flying?

I think it would be hilarious if you also use the fishing pole on other players, like put a piece of chicken on the end of it, and reel fresh spawns over to you :smiley:

But seriously, I’m pretty psyched for the new changes, especially the possibility of caltrops.

I was mostly kidding, but in all honesty while these things would totally look cool in the game I think as a light source they would be much too weak to server any real purpose.

Plus bio-luminescence only really happens when the jars get shaken up. Although that brings another thought to mind… what if you had them around your base and if someone walks near one or bumps into one it would light up, informing you that someone is nearby? That could be fun.

bioluminescent glow sticks has already been suggested and there is already concept art. It’s not algae though…
(thanks to utilitron for posting these in another thread):

mutant deer and glowsticks

This would be a great inexplicably long lasting light source in game that wouldn’t be too, “minecrafty.”

WOW! We can see yours footsteps, that is more than a trap, because you can hide and only see the ground light up!

This Deer is very nice too I like the concept. I had seen, I just don’t posted before to not duplicate the information

PS: I hope Garry is reading these threads :stuck_out_tongue: