Next Portal 2 DLC to Feature Easy-to-Use Map Editor

From gameexplain.com (had the most images, but its verified on Kotaku as well).

[release]Portal 2 - First Images of Map Editor By: Andre Segers | October 21, 2011, 5:37 pm[/release]
[release]Earlier today, Valve announced that a map editor is coming to Portal 2 early next year. It is said to be to allow users to easily create and share new test chambers for the critically acclaimed title, and the newly-released images below seem to verify that. Check the full press release below.[/release]

[release][img_thumb]http://www.gamexplain.com/storyimages/1319233042map_editor_01.jpg[/img_thumb]
[img_thumb]http://www.gamexplain.com/storyimages/1319233053map_editor_02.jpg[/img_thumb][/release]

[release]October 21, 2011 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the second game add-on for the year’s highest rated multiplatform game, Portal 2, is in development and targeted for release early next year.

This major update will feature an easy-to-use in-game map editor that will let users design, build and share their own single-player and co-op test chambers with the community, who will be able to view, play and vote on them with a simple click.

Portal 2 was released April 19, and currently holds a Metacritic score of 95%, making it the top-rated multiplatform game of 2011. Its first content update, “Peer Review”, came out two weeks ago.

A hilariously mind-bending adventure that challenges you to use wits over weaponry in a funhouse of diabolical science, Portal 2 features expansive single and cooperative multiplayer game modes. For more information on Portal 2 and its downloadable content, please visit http://www.thinkwithportals.com.[/release]

Original article here:
http://www.gamexplain.com/article-593-1319233072-portal-2---map-editor-images.html
And Kotaku’s article:

While i expect alot of “Nooo teh oobs iwwlss getts teh uploodssss”, this looks pretty kick-ass.
Usefull for when i wan’t to map and when i don’t give a fuck about hammer.

Also, those little stick figures might lead to some hilarious videos, Valve style.

I really like the idea. Perfect for simply creating chambers without having to deal with overlays, logic, and bad instances.

Sometimes i want to trial a puzzle without dealing with hammer bullshit. This could be fun to play around with.

It’s like Hammer is the real game, and this is the sandbox mode. Sort of. Not really.

Hory fucken shet.

Okay now do this for TF2. :dance:

[editline]22nd October 2011[/editline]

Although I guess this grid mechanic wouldn’t carry over too well into TF2.

Eh nevermind.

Really, this reminds me of an awesome mutation of Alien Swarm’s tilegen tool. Next year can’t come fast enough.

Awesome, looking forward to this.

If and when it comes out hopefully it will influence me to get more puzzle ideas going since it would ( in theory ) be easier to experiment with than trying to build and polish a level in Hammer from scratch, only to compile and find out that the puzzle isn’t working out as well as planned.

Looks quite cool, but I can’t imagine how it would be at all optimised.

Most test chambers are so small that you don’t even need a hint of optimization

[sp]no pun intended[/sp]

I want

This is pretty spiffy, though I hope it won’t give the idea to people mapping is this easy

GlaDOS should mock the user for using the application.

“Why would you place that there? That’s a terrible place.”

“You’re doing it wrong.”

Clicks Publish “Oh, Okay. But it looks terrible though.”

As long as it can still be imported into hammer for final polishing, im all for it.

eh, it will let the morons in, but oh well, better they dick around in here rather than in MY PRECIOUS HAMMER!
but seriously, we kinda need this, there will be more crap to wade through, but it may reveal people who know AWESOME level design, and everything else, but don’t know shit about how to work hammer.

lamdageneration.com is saying that the update will also include a new map-sharing service.

[release]Custom maps can be hard to find at times, especially for newer players. They don’t know they should go to “That Site” to download all the hottest new custom maps. They haven’t found out that “This Other Site” is only used by a few, and only has low-quality maps. In fact, they might not even know about any of these sites at all.[/release]

Can anyone find the source?

If that’s for all source maps instead of just Portal 2, it will be awesome

well guys

i’m calling it now, within two weeks of release we’ll be seeing maps with giant blocky penises on the walls

That just goes without saying.