nintendo 64 animations

How did nintendo 64 animations work?

Although I think maybe one or two N64 games had skeletal animation late in the console’s life, I’m pretty sure most games use vertex animations.

Vertex animation basically means that at every “keyframe”, the positions of all the vertices are saved (rather than simply the positions of the bones like in skeletal animations).

Basicly Like Crash Bandicoot on PS1?

Also do you know the names of which ones used the skeletal animations?

Yeah pretty much. It was very common in that era.

As far as which games used skeletal animations, I’m not sure. They didn’t exactly put this stuff on the back of the box. I can give you a decent guess that Indiana Jones and Turok 2 on the N64 probably used skeletal animations.

It’s so hard to find facts on how Nintendo 64 graphics worked.

If you can, try contacting some N64 emulator developers, I think they should probably know a lot about how the N64 worked both CPU and GPU wise.

Yes I could but which ones are still active?

It’s doubtful they’ll know about anything on this subject in particular. You’d be better off asking people who reverse engineer the games to rip the models.

[editline]16th October 2015[/editline]

Speaking of, why do you need this info?

I just want to learn more on how the system works.

Oh, in that case, DO talk to people who develop N64 emulators. And/or just do that research yourself. Animations are an in-engine thing, they don’t really have anything to do with the system itself.

The Project 64 developers should be quite active, not sure if Mugen64 is being developed as well but you could try contacting both.

Tons of N64 emulators for Android are in development. Most are based on Mugen.

So I think I e-mailed them. Let’s see what happens.

A number of games, like Mario 64, divided each character into a bunch of smaller polygon models (head, lower arm, upper arm etc.) and each frame changed the position of these models relative to the character’s location. Sort of a low-budget skeletal animation for the time.

When I ripped the mario model from the n64 game I had way more parts then you think.