Non-Euclidean Geometry / 'Unconventionality' Possibilities & Gamemode(s): “Juxtaposition”

Although the Greek mathematician Euclid of Alexandria would have us believe, that reality (and video games) should be & would be, fundamentally incorporated by a set of “shapes”, “angles”, et cetera., into what we perceive & understand as ‘reality’.

𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲, 𝐛𝐥𝐮𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐦𝐬, 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚢.

Garry’s Mod implementations

A simple example of an 𝘂𝗻𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗹 space - which may be, admittedly, based on just visual illusions in this particular case - of non-Euclidean implementation, an unreal space inhabited by a still, equally surreal G-Man NPC.

A much more complicated & fine-tuned example of non-Euclidean implementation is the wonderful Safe Spaces tool addon by Dr. Matt - the very same, ingenious GMod developer who also created a fully functional TARDIS from Doctor Who, which is a brilliant example of why non-Euclidean implementations may transcend 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕 expectations.
S&box could not only be better but reach exceeding possibilities 𝙗𝙚𝙮𝙤𝙣𝙙 the ‘𝚗𝚘𝚛𝚖’.

S&box Implementation & Possibilities; The Juxtaposition Gamemode

Although my current idea of “Juxtaposition”, my idea of an S&box gamemode that will focus on the utilization of non-Euclidean geometry only exists in the form of a fever dream, I am certain Source 2’s capabilities can be maximally utilized for geometric submergibility, giving us more computational power & possibility to go beyond the constraints of Garry’s Mod’s Source 1. Although I have primarily focused on C++ development for the last few years, I am happy that C# has its own dynamic de-allocation thing. Flashbacks to frustrating valgrind leak results.

To juxtapose, by introducing the player to an environment with 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚊𝚕 reality, then immediately presenting ʎʇıןɐuoıʇuǝʌuoɔun through non-Euclidean passageways, puzzles, and perhaps even people (e.g. Non-conforming geometric bodies for NPCs) - switching 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸-𝗮𝗻𝗱-𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗵 from 𝚗𝚘𝚛𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚒𝚝𝚢 and 𝕦𝕟𝕟𝕒𝕥𝕦𝕣𝕒𝕝𝕚𝕥𝕪 - and vice versa - constantly throughout the experience would be the primary facet of the gamemode.

Besides just seeming to be a presentation or demo kind of gamemode, I’m currently thinking of designing first, a single-player or co-op story version of Juxtaposition & then using the gained implementation and debugging knowledge from its development into refining a multiplayer version experience, would be an amazing project for sure!

I think my current focus would be designing a suitable Source 2 ‘simulation’ map in Hammer, using nuanced visual illusions and blending of colors & environments. Although I do not yet have S&box access, my second step would be attempting both design & implementation of metamorphizing entities, player tools, and/or items; unique obstacles, reality-bending puzzles, et cetera… to piece together an enjoyable - but unsettling and unique - narrative experience.

How cool would it be if a psychedelic-like shifting of physicality was explored within the traditionally flat, brick-textured stale gamemodes/maps?

For example, let’s say in an FPS-oriented (the pew pew kind, not frames) gamemode:

A series of multidimensional interpretations of what a “platform” is or can be, constantly changing at an 𝒊𝒓𝒓𝒆𝒈𝒖𝒍𝒂𝒓 pace on an 𝓲𝓻𝓻𝓮𝓰𝓾𝓵𝓪𝓻 basis? Where aim-brawn & Adderall-reaction times need not apply in a jungle of crazy shapes and areas, where memorization of specific types of ⁱʳʳᵉᵍᵘˡᵃʳ obstacles or challenges & informed movement choices determines the victor; player vs. player, player vs. the world, player vs. the game itself.

Current Synopsis of Juxtaposition: A detached plane of both fragmented & cohesive realities - side-by-side - where the protagonist(s) must find a way to mend the multiverse before the fragmentation simply cracks apart existence…

Conclusion

I guess it’s kinda hard to explain experiences based on unconventionality, specifically non-Euclidean geometry, because it’s indeed, unconventional.

Countless roleplay gamemodes being copycats of each other - the only differentiation usually being that one roleplay gamemode is based on a movie series or another video game - has been the norm of Garry’s Mod least, from my personal experience of a previous couple of years.

Instead of multiplayer gamemodes only being differentiated on genre, cultural element, or yet another boorish platitude that’s been already milked anyway, I think S&box presents an opportunity for a cultural reset, whether only the most viciously enjoyable gamemodes from Garry’s Mod will prevail in being recoded into S&box… Or perhaps a window for more curious, much more imaginative developers to have the limelight, while the port has yet to overcrowd.

What other cool stuff or gamemodes do you guys think could be enhanced with non-Euclidean geometry or unconventionality? Let me know in the comments!

Basically, I believe that for not merely for non-Euclidean implementation to be more explored by S&box developers, but a general push for unrealized, unique, and maybe, just straight-up bizarre gamemode experiences to be made, hopefully, instead of the traditional, conventional conceptualization methodologies.

Just get wacky y’all.

Thank you for reading this super wordy ideastorm-kind of a post. Any Juxtaposition gamemode development news will be posted / updated as they become available! (If you are interested or have experience in this kind of project, please do not hesitate to reach out!)

Cordially,
Tim