Normal maps refuse to apply.

Well as the title implies my bumpmap refuses to appl to my model, i have no idea what im doing wrong. ive tried several vmt settings aswell as difirent bumpmaps. here are my latest settings.

my vmt-
“$basetexture” “models/Katana1/Rath”
“$bumpmap” “models/Katana1/Rath_normal”
“$normalmap” “models/Katana1/Rath_difuse”
“$surfaceprop” “Metal”
“$surfaceprop2” “Chain”

i even tried this one-
“$basetexture” “models/Katana1/Rath”
“$bumpmap” “models/Katana1/Rath_normal”

"$alphatest" "1"

"$model" "1"
"$phong" "1"
$phongexponenttexture	"models/katana1/Rath_difuse"
"$phongboost" "1.5"
"$phongalbedotint" "1"
"$phongtint" "[1 .85 .85]"
"$phongfresnelranges"	"[0.5 5 15]"

"$ambientocclusion" "1"


though the first one is the current vmt settings.
Can anyone see something i may have done wrong in the vmt?

Usually when doing a prop, you have to change “LightmappedGeneric” to “VertexlitGeneric”

well i just tried doing that, i still didnt see a difirence between the one with a standard non bumpmap and the one im trying to get working.

If you’re viewing it in HLMV, make sure you’ve checked off Normal Mapping.
And as jason said, it should be VertexLitGeneric. Only use Lightmapped for textures used in maps.

well im using HLMV and looking at it ingame, i cant see a difirence.

the one on top is the one with the bumpmaps and such.
the other is the one without anything but its texture.

Fisrt, you’re using the wrong shader. At the very top of your VMT, change “LightMapGeneric” to “VertexLitGeneric”. LightMapGeneric is for map brushes and the like. Doesn’t work well with models.

Second, I’m confused as to why you’re referencing three textures. All you’ll need is the diffuse/$basetexture (base colors) and the normal map/$bumpmap. $normalmap is only used for refractions, if I remember right. Just put the spec map in your normal map alpha (which I assume it is already, looking at your OP), and your specular should be all set up.

EDIT: Another thing is to take your VMT back down to the very, very basics. This removes unwanted variables that can goof up what you think it is. Here’s a very basic one for you to work with:
“$basetexture” “models\Katana1\Rath”
“$bumpmap” “models\Katana1\Rath_Normal”


Thank you so much, i tried it with yours and it worked. funny thing is i tried one similar to that at first and nothing. im so glad it works. thanks again!