Not Exactly's Five Hour Mapping Challenge

Okay, hear me out here. I thought I’d try a different take on a mapping contest, because so many people drop out of the bigger ones. I think people would be more likely to complete something they were making something smaller, over a much shorter time period, at the same time as other people. I propose we try this on Saturday 3rd December, but it can be rearranged if enough people want to.

[release]
Timings (GMT)
19:00 - 20:00 - Basic brush layout of the map
20:00 - 20:15 - Break (for posting screenshots, putting the kettle on, whatever)
20:15 - 21:15 - Detail brushwork and texturing
21:15 - 21:30 - Break
21:30 - 22:30 - Props and lighting
22:30 - 22:45 - Break
22:45 - 23:45 - Optimisation, cubemaps etc., compile and screenshots
23:45 - 00:00 - Hearty congratulations all round
[/release]

Obviously we’re not going to have the time to create huge maps with lots of interactive features or playability, this is just for eye-candy. There’s no theme really, just make it look good. There won’t be any judges, although we could do a vote on the best map (based on screenshots) at the end.

Only other rules I can think of are that you’re not allowed to work on the map before the challenge starts, except for planning.

If anyone has any suggestions or would like to call me an optimistic retard, please feel free to do so.

[release]
Entrants
NotExactly
comet1337
Joey1
sphinxa279
Yadda
azgag
[/release]

What date?

So this is what you are doing instead of writing that detail sprites tutorial?

All joking aside it sounds cool, but lots of people won’t be able to make that time, even if it’s to make just one room.

I like the idea, but the middle of the week is pretty inconvenient…I think a Friday or Saturday would be better for us folks with work and school.

Yeah, a Saturday evening or something would be perfect for everyone I think.

sign me up.

i never got around finish those bigger things.

I’ve got work at the weekends, but I could probably manage Saturday night if more people can do it.

I can manage saturday as I work alot during the week.

Okay, Saturday it is.

Bah, back in my day it was the 24 hour mapping contests. I miss those.

I would enter but 5 hours isn’t enough for me, since I like to take my time and get everything perfect.

Im afraid you cant make it at that day :v: but if it will be this Saturday, then im in

champion right here

Almost champion here.

Anyone else interested? Not too long to go now, I need to decide what I’m going to make.

oh, I thought you put me up already, do it bro :v:

I’m down, I’ll set up some custom textures so I can breeze through without ocd overload.

Should we post streams?

Added you, also you can post a stream but if everyone taking part will be mapping at the same time I don’t know if anyone will watch it :v:

http://puu.sh/9IR8.png

Says Hawx after he linked me this thread and asked me to reply with this image :c
Don’t shoot the messenger!

dramaqueen