I’ve been stewing on the message Garry left in the S&box discord. He said
I couldn’t give much of a fuck about VR right now
it’s not any type of priority
but it is something we should do
I was initially disappointed but understood their perspective that they personally don’t really care about VR, but after thinking about it, I think it would be insanely beneficial to make a plan for VR.
I think the S&box team should really think about how they’re going to tackle it before release.
Here are some questions to inspire a plan, I don’t expect you to answer them, just make sure you’re aware of possible problems.
- Are VR and Pancake players going to be playing together?
- Will their be a standard compatibility mode so even when addon devs don’t add specific VR support things will still kinda work? (like the current Gmod VR mod that’s hacked together)
- Will default entities (prop_door, func_button, etc) have natural vr support?
- What kind of tools would devs need to make gamemodes VR and pancake crossplay?
- Will props need manual handposes to pickup or will you do procedural ones?
- If you add VR support after the fact, will addons or maps need to be updated?
- Will the default VR player controller be similar to HLA, Boneworks (LOL doubt), or something else?
- How will Facepunch deal will the influx of people with $3000 of VR trackers having erotic roleplay servers where lonely people hump the air alone in their bedroom?
- How would a spray pattern work in VR?
- Will VR (and potentially non-vr) hardware manufacturers have an API to write addons that connect to their hardware?
- Why did my Dad leave me?
These are some interesting questions to think about, I’m not expecting answers, just don’t want to be playing S&box in VR down the line and I’m not able to open a door cause the map was made before VR support.
EDIT: Just to make clear, I’m not asking for VR support to be ready by release. Just for them to plan it out. I don’t know if that was clear so I’m adding this.