Well let’s focus on the ballistics first and then that can become the focus later on. In the meantime we can use the default player controller as a reference: crouching is more accurate, running less, etc. Then add stances as you said to expand it further.
I’m all in for this Open Arms project since I had the need for this for my own ideas.
I’ll add some ideas as bullet points:
- It needs to be flexible so that devs can modify it to their needs: disabling sway, adsing, whatever.
- Support both set recoil patterns and random recoil patterns.
- Attachment system that affects gun handling: recoil, sway, whatever. Attachments being visual on the gun (both viewmodel and world model) would be nice, if possible.
- Use simulated projectiles using line traces as opposed to actual physical bullets for performance and reliability.
- Scopes with magnification and zeroing.
- A realistic ballistic system with appropriate penetration, ricocheting, splitting, bullet drop, wind and temperature simulation, coriolis, etc. And of course being able to use some of these or all.
- Staged reloading.
- Easy way of adding new guns with their attachment points and so on.
I’ll add more as I come up with them.