Opinions on new decay rates

So there’s been a few threads with various opinions on decay and I thought I’d create a thread to compile everyones pros and cons into one place and have somewhere to discuss things without everyone shitposting and crying.

So these are the current decay times:

Twigs
6 Hour Delay
6 Hour Duration
Wood
12 Hour Delay
24 Hour Duration
Stone
12 Hour Delay
48 Hour Duration
Sheet Metal
12 Hour Delay
72 Hour Duration
Armored
24 hour Delay
120 hour Duration

Pro’s:

Keeps the map clean of abandoned buildings
Frees up more space and lowers the max items meaning servers are less likely to crash out on hitting the item limit
Encourages people to plan their bases and resources properly
Doors reset a 40m area allowing easy reset of the delay timer
It can be countered by adding an extra ring of foundations around the base

Cons:

Not everyone can play enough and log in enough to avoid decay and may lose their base
Hurts solo players/smaller groups more than bigger groups
People with little time to play must spend a lot of that time just collecting resources to repair their base if it has become decayed (which I assume it would if they have little time to play)
A stone base has more benefit currently than a sheet metal base but decays sooner and faster
Delay times for all tiers but armoured means you must log in every day (or have a friend visit your base) or your base will take small to moderate damage
It needlessly forces people to build bigger and take up more room just to have an extra layer of protection from decay.

Overall I personally understand decay is required. I even encourage it. I started playing half way through this month on a new server and there was barely anywhere to build because of so many abandoned buildings. Now my servers map is nice and empty with only active bases being used which is what we all want to see. I do agree though that the current timers for both delay and decay rate are a bit severe. I know this game is designed more around playing as a group rather than solo but there are many circumstances where people play solo or in pairs where this would be brutal. I personally think a good solution would be to double the delay rates and maybe add 50% more to the decay times. So the new times would look like this

Twigs
12 Hour Delay
18 Hour Duration (total destruction after 30 hours)
Wood
24 Hour Delay
36 Hour Duration (total destruction after 60 hours (2 and a half days))
Stone
24 Hour Delay
72 Hour Duration (total destruction after 96 hours (4 days))
Sheet Metal
24 Hour Delay
108 Hour Duration (total destruction after 132 hours (5 and a half days)
Armored
48 hour Delay
180 hour Duration (total destruction after 228 hours (9 and a half days)

These times are a bit more forgiving and as most players reach the point where they upgrade their foundations to stone, it would give the majority of players 4 days to log in and repair it or it would be gone. For those who may not have as much time to play and take a bit longer to upgrade, this gives them more chance to build up without wasting time constantly repairing and frees up more time to play the game rather than just grinding to fix something they have already done. It was mentioned in a dev blog that they wish to make the game feel less grindy, currently these times seem counter productive to that goal. I see decay as something that should just clean up the map, not punish players for not logging in. If a player hasn’t logged in for four days then it seems fair to create space another active player could use and not many players fully upgrade their base to armoured so a longer time seems fair for their efforts.

Anyone else have any major pros or cons I can add to the list or any other opinions they would like to add. These are just my own ideas so if you think I am wrong or have a different suggestion, I would like to hear it!

I generally think the delay should be longer for most building types so we dont have to go around doing the tedious “repair”. Also please make delay at least 48 hours for stone buildings so people can go away for weekends.

I would prefer a long delay (like 4-7 days) and a quick decay (like 1 hour or less) for all materials exept of twig (as a “placeholder material” it could delay and decay within the first 10-30 min after building).

I think that decay shouldn’t be around the doors, but around the Tool Cupboards instead. And there should be a new option in the Tool Cupboard: ‘Repair decay demage’.
This will make it much easier and less annoying to maintain a base.

sffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfd dffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddf fddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffd fdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsf fsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddf fddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffd dffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfd fdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffs fddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffd dffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddf fdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfd sffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfd dffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddf fddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffd fdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsf fsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddf fddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffd dffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfd fdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffs fddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffd dffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddf fdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfd sffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfd dffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddf fddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffd fdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsf fsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddf fddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffd dffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfd fdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffs fddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffd dffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddf fdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfd sffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfd dffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddf fddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffd fdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsf fsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddf fddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffd dffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfd fdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffs fddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffd dffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddf fdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfd sffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfd dffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddf fddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffd fdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsf fsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddf fddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffddffdfdfdsffsfddffddffd dffdfdfd

The last thing we heard about tool cupboards was that they are temporary and may be replaced by something else. Thats why the cupboard got no updadets, looks like shit and has no gibs like all the other buildables.

Recently the cupboard got a update, the shape of the building zone, it’s still possible that Garry changed his mind and they gonna be a permanent thing but who knows.

Those are actually not the current decay times. Playtest it yourself.

I think that the Tool Cupboards are as temporary as income tax! That was supposed to pay for the war then go away! TC’s are here to stay I fear

Announced on twitter there looking into it

fix for all decay timings being twig decay, whoops - @helkus (/main)

Hurray!

welp that was a bit of a mistake to make! I still think looking at the current times that they are too short but maybe it’ll work better in game, we shall have to see. Personally I still think they are too punishing for people that can’t play all the time.

Rust has just lost 5 players due to this, and that just me and my 4 mates that have the game how many more are going because of this?

Whatever.

[editline]29th August 2015[/editline]

When will this be pushed into the game?

It already has just requires a server update