Alright, now I got a really big question… This really can’t go in the Megathread. It’s just too long of a question and hopeful answer to go in there.
To start this out, just for reference, my map was basically spawned from playing Hiyougami’s Freecity series of maps. I aspired to make something like that, except not focusing on how the original did on GPK gameplay, or how Plaza focused on light style and interiors, but on the buildings and rooftops. I took heavy inspiration from those and Mirror’s Edge, playing Mirror’s Edge and getting ideas for buildings and then applying those ideas into full buildings.
I’ve talked with Hiyougami numerous times, and as a result, I got to use his models and textures that he’s used, and along with other textures/models I had available, I finally could start. Over time, more people got involved, I got new models, new textures, and lots of support.
After constant work on my map, it’s getting harder and harder to get everything to work. Basically, I haven’t a clue on proper optimization, Propper is making crappy shadows so the model doesn’t look good at all, I get the “ClientRenderable” error, and I’m stuck at what is the final part of this map. It’s a big map that has plenty of tall buildings, and those tall buildings are using a lot of resources that make compile time long and cause errors and reach limits.
Then I look at maps like gm_bigcity and see loads and loads of buildings and areas of detail with good framerate and no errors for too many things being rendered and using up a lot of engine resources. The thing with bigcity is that the skybox is also pretty much a big box too. You can go at any point of the map and find that the highest point of the skybox is uniform. I have no idea how that was optimized, but that’d be the way that my map would need to be optimized. Can someone point me in the right direction?
I mean, I look at maps like this…
… and I go “How on Earth can these be fully rendered and not cause major lag?” This big mapping project that I’ve been working on have been a work in progress for a long time. I finally really got to the point where the layout and detail and geometry is done, and then I need to optimize, and, once again, that’s where I’m stuck.
I see you guys showing off your maps all the time, sometimes showing big maps with high detail, lightmap scales, or just general size, so I’m hoping someone here can really point me in the direction I need to go if I want to get this done right.
I know of the many optimization tools: hints, areaportals, func_detail, propper, etc. but really have no real guidance as to how to really use them, and the way I’d need to isn’t in a simple way. Func_detail only goes so far until there are too may t-junctions, and I’m at that limit, with Propper aiding me a bit, but so far hasn’t yielded a good result, with me getting horrible shadows on the models and such. I’ve tried my best at using optimization methods, and have been hoping that I’ll get that right, but it’s not happening.
It’s not like I need to optimize rooms and break up corridors, it’s a mostly outdoor city full of a bunch of decently detailed buildings (16 to be exact, and in a full grid size (length x width x height) of about 13328x10222x3400 units, and the average height of a building being around 1800 units and length of 1900).
I started a long time ago in what was a small test, and it turned into a huge ambitious project of mine, one that kept going and going, expanding to what it is now. That’s where the problem really is. This project is what basically taught me everything I know about Hammer. I had made stuff before, but it was basic easy stuff that wasn’t very good, and with this project, I applied the skills I had into a bigger scale, and learned ever more and more about Hammer with the help of many.
What I’m doing isn’t going to go to waste, and I’m not just throwing away what I’ve worked so hard on. I worked on my brushwork, made things non-blocky and generally better looking, cleaned up brushwork, drew inspiration and made my ideas into reality, really learned and focused on lighting, but keep failing at optimization. It’s the final stretch for me, and at this point, I’m stuck. I’m not giving up, I’m never giving up, but I need some help to get there.