Paid mods, thoughts?

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything and I’ve really just been lurking but I recently had a university lecture that reminded me about something that’s kind of peaked my interest again, Paid mods.

I think peoples perception of paid mod’s has been heavily influenced by the Skyrim debacle and really just remembers the trashing of the system but I don’t think its a concept that’s going to die. I want to make it clear that I agree the Skyrim system was ass but I think to completely rule out paid mods because of one fuck up is ignorant. I think Sandbox provides the perfect opportunity to set a good standard for how we support and enable developers and in my opinion that means implementing a system for paid mods or some form of monetization.

It’s undeniable mods are the lifeblood of Garry’s Mod and will be the same for Sandbox so I’m interested in seeing everyone’s opinions or arguments about what type of monetization if any should mod developers have? Should there be paid mods? What would an ideal system look like? Is there legal issues? Do we just leave things as is? If you have some sort of thought about paid mods good, bad or in-between I’d love to hear it.

I think we can all agree on one thing, giving the mod developer only 25% of the revenue is fucking stupid.

1 Like

Why are you saying it like this place doesn’t support paid mods, we’re mostly devs, we support the idea of getting paid for it.

Having a shop is a widely agreed thing that should happen.

4 Likes

I’m well aware there’s definitely support, I’m not oblivious to the fact I’m asking a largely mod developer community if they’d like to earn money, the first article linked even details Garry’s support of paid mods. I agree my wording probably isn’t the best, however from what I could find (discord mainly) there was also definitely opposition. I’m also interested in what people in support of paid mods would consider like fair terms or essentially how they’d like to see it done. Apologies if it came off a bit stupid, edited to remove the bit I think you were talking about as in retrospect was dumb.

1 Like

I think things like maps, gamemodes and props should be paid and PM’s and weapons should be free. Probably a dumb idea though.

1 Like

Garry has talked about having paid stuff I believe, as well as paying developers in other ways

1 Like

Paid addons will come for sure imo, Combat systems, Animation sets, Payment and AdminMods assets ect,

Just waiting for the eco system to develop before we see it. Give Garry whatever percentage he wants or else go make you own s&box x

2 Likes

Why not playermodels and weapons? Characters and Weapons are like the biggest market for modellers, mappers and programmers get to monetize their stuff??? this is clearly classist.

1 Like

idk i just like having playermodels and im broke, sorry. maybe when i get into programming i’ll side with you

1 Like

Down with the programmer bourgeoisie the modelling class must rise up. No I think Sleepy brings up a good point in not everyone has money and that there’s a concern for users that paid mods will replace existing mods. Which they pretty much wont but its an understandable concern nevertheless. There will still be good quality free mods as always.

Some mods just straight up cant monetize because of copyright. There’s a tone of different mods that are copyright violation but most (not all) companies or people don’t care or are unaware unless you try to monetize their copyright or do something abhorrent with it like posting images of a copyrighted German wok.

1 Like

I think most companies used to not care, But that was gmod days, It’s been 10 years since then. Look at how sensitive the world has gotten.

With Roblox banning all copyrighted Audio / sounds ( a huge win for the music artist industry ) It’s clear they where under legal pressure, You won’t get away with much these days but Time will only tell. when someone remakes full games and ports complete model replicas even for free things will get interesting.

3 Likes

Yea it will be interesting to see what plays out. Yea I don’t think straight rips like the roblox music or SWBF2 models will stay around. It would be awesome if companies made guidelines for community IP use similar to the Lucasfilm fan film guidelines.

Now that you’ve brought up roblox it reminds me of their pretty crap support for developers in a paid system. Facepunch already has great support for developers obviously but I think with paid mods specifically it would be nice to see some regulations with dev teams in regards to fair compensation etc (see linked video 5:06 for an idea of the issue) obviously there’s a big question of wether this is even feasible.

2 Likes

I mean even back in the GMod days there were mods that were paid. Some of the bigger “serious roleplay” game modes used a mod (I cannot for the life of me remember the name right now, I have a copy somewhere in my backup drives) that you needed to pay to have access to and would check in with the mod-author’s servers to authenticate. I mean obviously that auth was easily broken given how gmod mods worked lol, but in one form or another it’s something we’ll see in popular game modes. Though I feel just like that example it’ll be more or less an “as a service” model where the server-owner pays for access one-time or monthly to run the mode, and the players joining the server don’t need to pay (unless the server owner paywalls it idk).

1 Like

Cool
fair enough

1 Like

It would be nice to support mods, especially cool and made with soul.

2 Likes