Paywall for servers

Hello everyone.
I know this topic will be a hard one but please keep it civil.

So we’ve had a conversation about paywall for servers on the Discord.
Maybe Facepunch can give a statement on it. Will this be allowed or not?

1 Like

I’d love to see gamemodes that have so much thought and work put into it that you pay beforehand just like some games. We already have whitelisted servers and the donation system is widely accepted, I don’t see a reason not to have paid servers but that’s not up to the developers, noone is stopping you from making one in Gmod right now, good luck getting an initial playerbase though.

2 Likes

People will be allowed to monetise their content however they want

32 Likes

Will we get s&bux? /s

5 Likes

Please Mr garryman please add a dislike button

4 Likes

Why? You might disagree with paywalls themselves. But this is just a topic about paywalls for servers in general.

1 Like

I think it would be bizarre to restrict people from making their games pay to play, but I still don’t see any games of those types taking off.
Sadly, I would assume the freemium type model that’s been taking off in mobile app stores and Roblox (which, though very different, shares the same concept of different games on one platform) will most likely make it’s way over to S&box. You can already see this happening in gmod servers like purchasable VIP and perks, so it wouldn’t be unlikely that it makes its way over to it’s counterpart.

Also,

I second this statement, it will be a pain or nearly impossible to get people to start playing a game if they’re required to pay to play it on a game they’ve already paid for.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking that you might be able to attract players with some sort of trial and opening the gates on holidays. If you got something unique and outstanding people might be interested to play it.

Right now many servers in Gmod fund themselves with (like you said) VIP and perks.
But if you have a big project you might not want to give people an advantage through VIP so having a paywall could help you fund your project.

Obviously there has to be a demand for it. And if you have nothing unique to offer, you won’t get any players.
That’s why server hosters that just deploy a server with scripts from the workshop or s&boxstore (assuming this will be a thing) will probably not survive for long. Or will not even make it in the first place.

3 Likes

That sounds like a valid tactic, considering it’s commonly used by popular game devs. One of the best examples I can think of at the top of my head is R6 - every now and then they’ll have a free weekend, bring some people in. Gets some people interested because they’ll actually get to try the game for themselves.
I’d be interested to see how people would do this through S&box. Perhaps there’ll be a sort of server preview that people could look at before joining the server which they could include with information and trailers? The possibilities are endless there.

Wishful thinking, my friend. Without a doubt there will be plenty of servers like that which will thrive because, ultimately, the majority of the playerbase will be children, and children aren’t very hard to entertain.

1 Like

This sounds like a good idea. I’m thinking about some sort of server profile.

Probably true… I just hope children will see unoriginal content and prefer to not pay for it. We’ll have to see when this actually happens.

2 Likes

Following the hours long discussions on discord you should know why by now.

2 Likes

It can already be done in gmod, just add an automatic whitelist system for a server that requires you to pay on an external website to enter a gmod server. Not sure if garry will add official support for this but either way getting a decent playerbase will be a bit hard with a paywall since most users will expect everything to be free once they buy sbox.

2 Likes

It would be nice to see official support for pay to play type games, perhaps we can trust @garry on creating a system in the server browser where one could see details for the server or perhaps pay for access, like I mentioned above? As I don’t really see a sort of paywall type scenario being possible if the server browser in S&box is similar to the one in source games, where you would have to join a server first, or put a link to a landing page in the server name in order to tell if it actually has a paywall or not. Perhaps this is a good enough idea to be moved to the suggestions tab to be considered? Sort of like a landing page, where servers can put a simple website that people can view. That would also benefit server owners in general, if they’re able to make a customizable landing page that people can use to see what the server offers before perhaps taking the leap into a 20+GB download just to find out that the server is terrible upon joining.

1 Like

lmao, It sounds legit already S&bux

Legit though, using Robux on roblox in order to access games for a in-game-currency 1 time purchase ( which was called a game pass on the roblox platform ) seemed to bring in a lot of sales. Some game modes made 1-200K+ just from people paying to access the game.

people are also less likely to get banned because they paid for the experience.

The prices where usually around 0.50 - $8 if u converted the robux to real money

2 Likes

I mean I was kidding but sort of wasn’t. I wouldn’t be surprised if FP took a cut of every sale (whether it’s access to a gamemode or just microtransactions), which is sort of why roblox uses robux in the first place, I would say.

1 Like

You mean servers with micro-transactions/membership and more being marked? Sounds like a good idea.

But I don’t think it’s a good idea to have some sort of in-game currency like Robux in Roblox. If you want to monetize your addon/server you should have to do it yourself. Making monetization easy will lead to unoriginal content being monetized. If you make some sort of exclusive and original game inside of s&box where you have multiple servers you have to pay for, a monthly membership will help you out paying for these servers. I’m thinking about something like an MMO-RPG in this case. But I see the downside that server hosters will just slap some addons from the workshop or s&boxstore on their servers and charge you money for it.

4 Likes

Roblox’s idea of using their own currency works because they have a locked down eco-system, the games you make on their platform are hosted on their servers and the creators get paid directly through them after passing their QA. There are no individual servers or hosts.

With something that relies on community hosted servers like Garry’s Mod or Sandbox you’d see a currency like Robux fall flat on it’s face almost immediately. Because why bother with that when you can just handle ‘donations’ through Paypal and pocket the percentage that would otherwise go to Facepunch? It’ll probably be easier to implement in the first place.

1 Like

Because you can easily provide an API for addons so they can handle payments with 1-2 lines of code where Facepunch would also get a good cut. Any addon could easily integrate it as it would be a standard API. No need to make custom addons that work with your custom “donation” solution. Keep in mind that Roblox is worth $2.000.000.000 (TWO BILLION USD) because of this. Tebex does this for Minecraft too and they process $50.000.000 per year. Anyone sane would at least explore the idea.

I do not like the idea of paywalls at all but having some built-in way of processing microtransactions would be great.

3 Likes

That would be a great idea, however, that would be more effort on Facepunch’s end too, as they’d have to work out a system to make that work, and I don’t think the goal was to make a sort of system similar to Roblox. Especially in this sort of game, even if they did implement it, it would most likely fail in competition with handmade solutions that give servers all of the cut or a bigger percentage. You are giving creators the ability to mess with networking where it matters the most. The only reason Roblox doesn’t have that problem is because it’s heavily sandboxed. You will get your game removed for posting links to external websites or making people for features without Robux. I can guarantee that if creators on Roblox could’ve done that, they would’ve already done it.

1 Like

Gmod THRIVED because of paid mod projects. Allowing monetization creates incentive to innovate and create new and exciting experiences.

4 Likes