.pcf files don't work in an addon?

I put a particle file and a particles_manifest.txt into an addon (the ion cannon) and they didn’t work.

I have a feeling this is due to the particles_manifest (basically a text file that says ‘mount these files’) isn’t taken into account by addons, but I’m not 100% sure.

Perhaps this is an issue that needs fixing?

You dont need the manifest file, Gmod will automatically mount any files in the garrysmod/particles directory, however they cannot be used in addon format or sent to a client using resource.AddFile. So it’s an issue that needs fixing, but in a slightly different way.

Are you sure, my particles didn’t work when they weren’t in the manifest (yes the gmod directory, not addons)

Yep, I’ve played with particles quite a bit, and they’ve always played for me without any modification to the manifest.

Take a look at http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=66699 .

This is entirely guesswork, but I believe Gmod has a way of mounting any particles in that folder and thus become usable. However, there is no way to send these to the client, which is a pity because making particles would be that much easier.

Hmm. Okay.

I’ve done a lot of particles work myself, but it was for mods rather than gmod. The gmod implementation is pretty poor when it comes to particles.

Well, Gmod automounts any particle which is nice, it just doesn’t permit sending them to clients.

Basically yeah.

Some better lua support and stuff would be nice too.

The Jump Pad addon does send the particle file to the clients, so apparently it works.

I’ll look into it for when Gstruction enters some later beta stages coz at the moment it’s using a lot of particle effects.