penthouse/loft sort of thing

I hit a huge mental block. It so much more difficult making “architectural” sort of buildings and rooms opposed to warehouses. I’m having some trouble balancing gameplay and “realism”. Anyways this is what I have so far, I’ll probably completely overhaul this damn thing as it seems not to be working out right now.

Your opinions? what would be good references from other games? CC?

It looks good for the most part. Maybe a bit blocky IMO. But other than that, good job!

Edit: Is there a floating couch in the first pic? Look to the right in front of the building. XD

It’s blocky, but in a good way if you ask me. I’d like to see that textured.

Looks cool, soon as you get props, etc in there it will take your eyes off of the blocky-ness, hopefully.

This is fucking great. I love the mix between maintenance and living areas.

Well, I’m guessing you’re following a workflow and are now done with “Blocking in” process?
It does look like you’re stuck with the warehouse-look, it’s kind of clear in some of the architecture.
Why do you have huge ventilations? It’s not a warehouse
Why do you have huge lamps + ceiling railings?
I’d get rid of those, then start texturing and detailing, adding trims, room-by-room style.

Definitely mirror’s edge.

This looks great, especially the second last pic, keep it up! I think the blockiness does a good job setting a theme.

Aaah. Like always “it’s blocky”. Where do you see it?
I don’t think its blocky… It’s very good.

I like the blocky style. Try mirror’s edge for reference.

Is it just me or is that a couch on the outside of the map in the first pic? Anyways looks great but like Cuel said it looks a little to industrial. Otherwise looks awesome.

Is it for CS:S?

yeah its a given its gonna be a bit blocky I’m still in a “design” phase, I’m not going to start detailing yet. As for the warehousey feel by the lights and beams its supposed to be a loft. Perhaps it’s a bit exaggerated because it looks more like one of those “modern” fake lofts opposed to the real deal.

It’ll either be a “demo” style map or CS:S. Do people see a loft or penthouse from this? or both?

Judging by the fact that he’s using an EP2 skybox, no.

I like to follow this workflow:

Idea
Visualizing/Reference
Sketching/Reference
Blocking In
Textures - 1st pass
Detailing - 1st pass
Detailing - 2nd pass
Texturing - 2nd pass
Lights - 1st pass
Detailing & Texturing Final
Lights - 2nd pass and final
Final test and Tweaking
Release

Make 2 versions.
1 without any props so we can have some customizations
1 with props so we don’t have to work

Like people have said, work on the blockiness and add props and more detail.

Rated artistic.

That’s beyond ridiculous

A reference to the song ‘Hotel California’. Such as “You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave.” or “Mirrors on the ceiling, The pink champagne on ice. And she said ‘We are all just prisoners here, of our own device.’” I was listing to it and this seemed very nice to place a reference to. :smiley:

Edit: Also, where can I get the textures you used for the wall and all that and glass? Because it is not in normal dev materials. Please help!

I disagree.