Perfect Collision Models?

I was wondering if there was a way to convert a model into a collision model so that it would be perfectly fit to the model. In short, how would I make a perfect collision model for a complex model, using 3ds Max? Any replies would be helpful :slight_smile:

What you do is ultimately up to you, but be prepared for major performance hits if you have a collision model just as detailed as your ref model.

I don’t remember how many primitives you can use to define a model (I think it was under 30 for source), but they must be 8 sides or less. So by making the reference model the same as the collision would make source throw out the collision model and use the basic one that would have been used if no complex version was made.

Damn, I was playing cod4 and was noticing how detailed and precise the collision models for every prop were. I was thinking about doing that sort of thing for a car model I was making.

You divide the parts of the actual model into convex collisions. Then, make each divided part into its own model and give them each a smoothing group of 1. Next, select one collision piece and combine all the collisions together. After that, give the whole collision a smoothing group of one and rig the whole collision to a bone at the origin in rotation/position (0,0,0 coordinates).

Also, don’t forget to give the actual mesh a bone in the same position/rotation with same name.

You also ought to use $collisionmodel as opposed to collisionjoints and add $concave (or was it convex?) into the physics block.

I KNOW HOW TO DO THAT TO MAKE IT PERFECT!!

http://puu.sh/f5Tx

Follow these steps

How to make hulls

Export Model

Import model untick (rebuild smoothing normals)

Then Select all (clt - a )

select polygon edit and then Ctl a and reset then hit “1” smoothing group

then export

ALL CREDIT GOES TO THECORP303 ^^^ HE FOUND THIS METHOD!

That only works for seperate elements on the model -a single piece mesh that is not convex will not create such nice results.

On top of that you don’t want costly collision models that much.