Performance issue on notebook how far is the game optimized ?

Hello, good morning everyone.

I need some clarification and/or some help if needed.

I just recently bought a notebook (asus n550jv ) and for some reason i got 20fps~30fps while playing + random freezes and lagspikes for some reason i do not know. The strange thing is that i dont have these issues when i’m playing on my desktop (even though he is weaker ) and most precisely i dont have lag spikes or freezes at all. Here are the spects from both computers :

Notebook :

Processor :

Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor

Windows 8.1

Chipset :

Intel® HM86 Express Chipset

Memory :

8gb DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM

Display :

15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768)/IPS FHD (1920x1080) LED Backlight Non-Glare LCD Panel

Graphics card :

Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4600
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M with 2GB/4GB DDR3 VRAM

Storage :
750GB HDD 7200 RPM

Computer :

Processor :

Intel® Core™ i3 (3 generation)

Windows 8

Memory :

8gb DDR3, 1600MHz

Storage:

1tb 750gb 7200rpm

Graphics card:

Nvidia Gt440

The thing is… the pc is far far far weaker than the notebook however i get 50+ fps on the computer and 20 fps on the notebook. Why ?

Few things i noticed :

1 - On the computer if i disable realtek (as pointed in the forums ) stick on 50+ but if i keep it enabled my fps go downs to 30 or less.
2 - I cant test this on notebook since i only got realtek audio on it.

What could be causing this issue on the notebook ? and why the computer is simply getting a better fps ? the difference from a desktop to a notebook is that high ? Any help is apreciate :). Also what’s your opinion about this notebook ? should i put another 8gb ram stick and stick with 16gb ? should i add another video card and use SLI ? is it worth? thanks.

There is an issue where the laptop will use the onboard Intel graphics instead of the nvidia card. I don’t think this is specific to Rust tho. Have a look in the “Will my Pc run this” thread. Or just google it.

You’ll never use more than 8GB’s of ram while gaming (except Star citizen), so don’t waste money on that. Make sure you have picked the high performance nvidia card from nvidia control panel

I noticed that thanks :slight_smile: but i manually changed to use the gt750m gcard instead of the integrated one and the fps is arround 20 or less. The fun fact is that as pointed out on the other topic, i had better fps when using the integrated one.

Is it plugged in or on battery? Heat could be an issue also, it may be throttling down as it gets too hot. Laptops are just poo for gaming imo

Heat gets arround 70-80C when gaming and its plugged in.

[editline]17th January 2014[/editline]

This should make it easier to understand :

Also my goal with this topic is to nail down why is everyone having a lot of performance issues with notebook. I understand that the game is in alpha and i want to help as much as i can on taking down these kind of issues.

So far i realised that mobile graphic cards are having a little issue + realtek sound boards.

PS: i will try getting a cooler pad today and see if its heat related or somenthing else.

Latest nvidia driver? sometimes you need to manually add rust into the list, and set it to use nvidia as default. if it’s not working, you can refer to Asus VIP forum.

Im on asus K53TK notebook, fps pretty stable on 40+ and my notebook is twice slower than yours.

Thanks mate i will take a look there :slight_smile: And yes i set as nvidia as default. So far i nailed down the problem to be with the mobile video card compatibility and the realtek audiocard. I made several testes on the pc and notebook and changed those settings i got the problem sorted out.

Hope somone from the dev team see this and take a look on those two issues :).