[Performance] Rust Launch Options

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108301/rust/banner.png

Orignal Image : withGrass

I’ve noticed from time to time, that people with high-end/mid-range systems are have performance issues.
So here is a list of all possible launch options for rust. there is a small list of the fps difference between
options when I run them, hopefully it will help people with high-end/mid-range systems be able to tweak their
launch options to get better FPS.

Resolution 5760 x 1080 (3 monitors), all taken from the same spot with grass off.

AvarageFPS : DAY / NIGHT
FPS = 55.6 / N/A# : -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded
FPS = 55.1 / 89.2 : -force-feature-level-11-0
FPS = N/A# / 82.6 : -force-feature-level-10-0
FPS = N/A# / 65.1 : -force-feature-level-9-3
FPS = N/A# / 47.3 : -force-opengl

It’s worth making note, that as it got darker ingame FPS generally increases, yet even with this help opengl performance
is as poor as expected. thus if your running similar specs and get poor fps, its likely your game has decided
to run in opengl mode try forcing it to feature-level-11-0.

All possible launch options:
-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded
-force-feature-level-11-0
-force-feature-level-10-1
-force-feature-level-10-0
-force-feature-level-9-3
-force-feature-level-9-2
-force-feature-level-9-1
-force-d3d9-ref
-force-gles30
-force-gles20
-force-d3d11
-force-opengl
-force-d3d9
-force-gfx-mt
-force-gfx-st
-force-gfx-direct
-popupwindow [same as turning the windowmode tick box off]
-nolog

Recommended Test Server(s):
173.208.68.162:28185 : USA : Always Day Time : (run by xEnt22)

Finally you can edit the config.cfg and turn grass off for maximum potential performance.

URI: <Steam-Folder>\steamapps\common\rust\cfg\client.cfg

change all grass options to false

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108301/rust/grass-off.png

Additional Options:
list of extra options for the config.cfg to help people with lag.

terrian.idleinterval 0
render.level 0
render.af 0
render.aa 0
env.clouds false

and if you wish to see your FPS in console add

global.fpslog 5
global.logprint True

How To Disable/Enable All Shadows:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108301/rust/disabled_shadows.7z
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108301/rust/enabled_shadows.7z

To disable all shadows ingame and potentially increase FPS further or simply have the chance to decrease load on your GPU thus reduce its temperature
replace unity default resources & unity_builtin_extra in <game-path>\rust\rust_Data\Resources with the disabled_shadows files provided above.

please note this is not the best option and im sure devs will add a shadows.off option to the config.cfg eventually but until then this should help.

Machine Spec Used:
CPU: i7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz
GFX: GeForce GTX 770 (3GIG)
RAM: 16GIG Corsair @ XMP-1600 (800MHz 9-9-9-24 @1.5v)

IRC:
server : irc.freenode.net
channel: #playrust
WebIRCClient:http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23playrust

If i’m able to help anyone i’m always about in IRC (name: MuNk).

Wanted to make a new thread for this, but I might aswell post it here, if I have rust in the homescreen of the client, my gpu alrdy jumps to 100% and becomes 78 C , same goes on for whenever I play ingame. My fps is 80 and stable but my gpu just makes way too much noise now, Is there any launch option that might fix that or some setting?

roflmao388, that is likely a issue with your gfx, id recommend getting tuning software and additionally try cleaning its fans. assuming its a desktop. However if its a laptop then they are able to run at much higher temperatures but will allows make alot of noise.

Alternativly turn on V-Sync for your gfx, it will cap the fps @ 60 and should reduce heat and noise, which can be changed outside your game within your gfx control software.

just to get a more stable test, use my server that stays day all the time, doesn’t move at all. http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1340908

added extra config.cfg options, also its possible to enable logging/show fps for ingame in the console.

I am having a similar problem.

I run two 660tis, one dedicated to PhysX, the other dedicated to rendering; with an i5-3570k @ 4.5 GHz. I have no issues running any games at all, whatsoever. On highest setting in rust, I get roughlyu 175 Frames per Second. However, this is because Rust is using my cards at 100% load, I cannot seem to limit Rust through Nvidia Control Panel, MSI Afterburner, or DxTory. So it continues to power through at 100% load on my cards, until they are running at 80 Celsius each.

Any recommendations for someone who is experiencing intermittent brief freezing in game?
It only lasts for a second or two but happens at least every minute. Sound repeats and the whole nine yards when it happens.

Haven’t tried many configuration options. Have tried playing with sound (Realtek) disabled, still stutter.

Started after one of the earlier updates during the DDoS stuff.

Other games perform fine.

@niceshotnum : only way you can reduce is to goto the Nvidia Control Panel and set V-Sync to forced on, it will limit your fps to 60 and should prevent max load, alternativly turn the terrian.idleinterval to 0, it will make the game stop drawing trees you cant see. should reduce your load.

@Peak : fact its randomly freezing could be a threading/ram issue, or even a disk I/O without more information its hard to tell, id recommend adding the -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded option, and if you got another hdd (hard disk drive) move steam/rust to that drive or simply move rust just temporary see if it helps, if it does help its a disk I/O issue, if the extra option helps its a threading/ram issue might want to try increasing your pagefile until you can get more ram.

Probably not HDD. It’s on my girlfriend’s computer. It has happened on both the normal spinning HDD and the SSD. I suppose it could be an issue with the motherboard, but I would expect to see it replicated across other games and not just on Rust. It’s unlikely to be a RAM issue. I’ll try the option out tomorrow.

if your run it on a standard hdd and ssd with the same issue, its not motherboard, it would be the implementation of threading being used, so as the unityengine still is not the best managed of memory it could be a ram issue, id stick to my original suggestion adding the option and look at the game logfile, it might be a issue with the shaders that are being loaded.

You, my friend, is the reason why I browse this forum!! Thanks so much!! I will be testing it soon!

Sorry I’m a total noob with launcher perameters, could you possibly give a brief explanation as to what each parameter changes so that someone like me can figure out what exactly i’m changing to try and note the differences.

its a difference between using directdraw3 using DirectX 9 / 11 , or making sure the engine uses directX 9.1 - 11.0 etc… gfx-mt = allow/use multithreads on by default, gfx-st = only use 1 thread off by default, might help low end machines but dought it. etc… hope that helps.

Nice post Thanks for this!
I was looking for where to change the settings manually. But never bothered to search yet.

Forst of all: Wonderful post.

Now my problem is, this are my specs:

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.8GHz
GPU: Gainward GTX760 2GB
RAM: 6GB DDR3

Everything is fine and CPU runs @ around 30-40% load while playing.
But my GPU is on 80°C ?! I mean…This can’t be right, right ? I set vsync for rust on in nvidia panel but I get always around 100FPS. I start with -force-feature-level-11-0

Any suggestions ?

well my issue is that i’ve been getting a very low fps even though my system specs seem to be above the required system specs for the game. Using some of ur settings i’ve seemed to have gotten some better FPS but I have no idea what any of it means so i’m just guessing and checking. I’m still having to use a resolution of 800x600 to get a playable fps… what launch parameters do you suggest I use for:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
GPU: GPU is an ATI Radeon HD 5450
8GB RAM, running win.7 on 64bit

? Sorry to bother you with this stuff, it just seems like you know what your talking about. I appriciate your time and help.

@Montaxx 80°C is within operating limited for that gfx card, for argument sake have you got shadows on or off?

@DStealth the issue is your graphics card regardless sorry, the ATI Radeon HD 5450 is a sub $100 card and sorry to say doesn’t have the power behind it, what you can do is go into the ATI/AMD catalyst control panel and set Image quality to high performance for everything. the Q6600 CPU can run faster at 3.2Ghz but only if you know what your doing to overclock it. id recommend tweaking what you can software wise and investing in a newer grahpics card when you have the time/money aim for around $150 range if you can.

Just a follow up - the launch option did the trick. She hasn’t been experiencing the stuttering lag any more.

KuroSaru: How can i turn off shadows?

I do not know of a option to force all shadows off, however if you wish to disable every shadow within the game to increase performance, and possibility decrease your GPU temp, use the following files.

Global Disabled Shadows:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108301/rust/disabled_shadows.7z

Global Enable Shadows:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108301/rust/enabled_shadows.7z

Replace unity default resources & unity_builtin_extra with the ones in the link provided above. its a simple trick you rename the shaders responsible for shadows thus forceing all shadows to turn off, granted this method is not the best option, but will work for alpha. its worth noting its thanks to the error handling and good code practice of the unityEngine devs and Rust devs you can abuse the game this way, normally a game would fall over disabling shadows this way.