Physgun model

So I’m looking at making a potential physgun model for S&box but I would like some ideas from the community on what they would like to see in a physgun and I will definitely credit the people that help and try to present it to Garry. My current idea is some sort of modified rifle that has a similar look as the gmod tool gun. When I have some concept art ill add it to the post. But for now if anyone wants to draw something up or even just add ideas that would make something that everyone will enjoy.

3 Likes

(Google translator)
You can make one base (foundation) of a weapon, which will change depending on which tool is currently activated. Take the game Control as an example.

1 Like

I like the idea of it being cobbled together from random parts seemingly by a crazy scientist, following the theme of gmod’s toolgun. But it has to be sturdier than the toolgun because of the mass it can move. It should have prongs like the gravity gun and portal gun, cause that’s a good way of expressing that a tool can grab something (it sorta looks like a claw). Garry’s mod’s physgun’s shape is very recognizable and i think the new physgun should resemble it by silhouette.

4 Likes

They probably already have an idea in mind of how it’s going to look, it would be pretty impressive if your model were to match the style they intend to go for, although it’s probably too early to tell.

1 Like

Comrades, minimalism will be the standard style of play. This means that the future PhysGun needs to be done in this way.

1 Like

As for the view itself, it should be small (more compact than in Gmod).

1 Like

I’d make it something more fun and cartoon-ish, fitting the S&Box style better, than a sci-fi shiny gun with light beams.

A magic wand or just bare hands with a set of nice animations and particles would work perfectly.

1 Like

Just make it exactly like the gmod physgun please. As we are all used to that.

1 Like

Gmod’s physgun is HL2 gravity gun with a blue skin, Facepunch effort of making its model was well approximately 0.

I don’t see a reason to stick to this particular model just for the sake of it. Today’s Facepunch isn’t what they were at the time gmod’s physgun model was well, selected, not even designed. Now they have artists and years of experience.

Just let it go and design something cool, probably there are cool things to come up with other than hl2 gravity gun.

3 Likes

I really like this.
I find Gmod’s Tool gun style really appealing and would like that to be the dominant style for tools: Kitbash, and very detailed with electronics, ducktape, and even interactive elements, like maybe a meter of how “strained” it currently is (depending on how heavy or how much force is being done against the tool).

1 Like

You think this is harry potter?

Cartoonish doesn’t mean you can’t have high tech looking stuff. Besides, the game is supposed to have “two” styles of art.

It has to be a gun of some sort (it’s called physgun after all), probably two handed. A cobbled up version sounds great, high tech but low quality, as opposed to a pristine high tech gun, that wouldn’t really fit imo.

1 Like

Magic wand for VR is a cool idea. Could do guestures for different editing options like spells.

1 Like

Harry Potter franchise isn’t the only universe which has magic wands. I’d say like a half of movies/games/books that feature magic also have them.

It doesn’t have to be a magic wand though, that’s more of an example of how different from a physgun it can be, it could literally look like anything, because it doesn’t exist in reality and what we have in gmod is just what we’re used to.

In my opinion gmod physgun lacks some nice animations first of all, and bare hands with some neat animations (i.e. index finger pointing at a prop when you move it, rotating gestures when you rotate the prop and some special gestures for freeze/unfreeze like snapping fingers or clapping) would feel more natural and dynamic. Would probably work better with VR as well if it’s supported at some point.

This would probably even make kids who play S&Box have fun outside the game pretending to move objects performing these gestures, I can already imagine that, lmao.

But yeah, these are just some thoughts from the top of my head, I’m neither an artist nor a game designer so these guys can probably come up with something even more fun and interactive. I just don’t want to see that dull piece of tube in my hands, that’s boring.

3 Likes

maybe something like this ive always loved the cobbled look of the tool gun. i drew these awhile back when i was still in art school

11 Likes

Just throwing an idea - what about making mechanical gloves as a manipulation tool?

I like the idea of bare hands mostly because it allows to create various animations that will visually tell the difference in player interactions.

3 Likes

You can still make it so a gun has different animations for different interactions: glowing color, rotating parts, parts that move or “open” only on specific interactions, etc. Or you guys never played Portal?

1 Like

Seeing as the physgun was just a reskinned gravgun, a different version of alyx’s gloves is not out of the question, although they still have the resources to come up with much more I’m sure.

1 Like

They won’t reusse any Valve assets. We know that already.

1 Like

I would suggest Garry not to make PhysGun in the form of a weapon at all, because there are too many people who are already familiar with the old PhysGun and the new one for them is like an insult. I would suggest imagining some serious glove, an implant in the hand (partly from ARK). And if someone needs it, the Camunity Workshop will transfer the model from Gmod.

1 Like

Even if they are not present by default, people will make them accessible by various methods. There are so many people who will want to use the assets of Half-Life Alyx.

1 Like