Placing a Light_env overly brightens my map

I’ve been having an issue and I can’t find a work around. I’m sure i’m making an incredibly simple mistake. I’ve been working on this star wars port/remake for a while now, and I’ve got the thing pretty much fully textured, I’d like to tweak the lighting a bit because without any lighting entities it’s a little off. but every time I’ve placed a light_environment - regardless of the settings applied within (and trust me i’ve tried about every recommended preset there is + my own) my map just gets really super bright.

here is some shots of the map before light_env is placed

[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/bvyRBJx.jpg[/img_thumb]

[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/SB40SSB.jpg[/img_thumb]

and here is after :

[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/o8sjt7e.jpg[/img_thumb]

this seems to happen whether running in default or full HDR.

Compiler log:

Fix this

**** leaked ****
Entity light_environment (800.33 -2607.73 -264.92) leaked!

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1220.1 635.1 52.5)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID CONTENTS_WINDOW CONTENTS_TRANSLUCENT 
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_WINDOW 
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_WINDOW 
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_WINDOW 
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 40594: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1146.8 808.3 51.3)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID CONTENTS_WINDOW CONTENTS_TRANSLUCENT 
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_WINDOW 
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_WINDOW 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1146.8 718.9 51.3)

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1135.7 763.6 52.5)

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1135.7 227.0 52.5)

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1135.7 -130.7 52.5)

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1135.7 -445.8 52.5)

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (-5120.0 -2674.4 -2030.1)
Leaf 0 contents: 
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID 
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID 
Candidate brush IDs: 

[editline]Learn to read you half baked retard. If you actually learned some shit, you might be useful for something[/editline]
Next time review your compile log, and analyze it for any errors that you may see.

What if I cant?
We have tools like this that will do it for you

wow I noticed all the portal errors but totally missed the light_env leak, I even specifically looked for that.

I’m an idiot lol.

how would I go about identifying the cause of the leak? is it as simple as getting the arrows up to direct me like in the leaks that prevent a compile? or is this a bit more complex?

Pretty much what you said there. Just use the point file and you’re in like flinn

Thanks dude, turned out I had a couple of leaks, some of the skyboxes were just not touching by the smallest degrees, I’m going to abuse the pointfile until they’re all gone and update you if this fixes it (I presume it should)

Cheers again :slight_smile:

so it turned out it was a texture problem - I changed all my textures from lightmappedgeneric to vertexlitgeneric and this made the map responsive to light.

except now I have a problem in which when I walk into certain areas of my map, the entire map flickers yellow.

[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/a77OAEa.jpg[/img_thumb]

[img_thumb]http://i.imgur.com/5rvbp75.jpg[/img_thumb]

Are those brushes or models? brushes use lightmappedgeneric.

Also light variables use NEGATIVE pitch. So for light environment, set pitch to a negative number. 0 is horizontal and -90 is straight down.

Lightmappedgeneric wasn’t responding to any form of light_environment configuration, so changing to vertexlitgeneric was my only option to get the brushes responsive

all that happens when I load with a light_env whilst using light mapped generic is the map is overly bright (pictured in the initial post)

The issue wasn’t being caused by a leak, I fixed all of those.

Is there any other shaders I can use on these textures?

the hell kind of parameters were you stuffing into your lightmappedgenerics to begin with
if you really didnt knew what you were doing, couldnt you have just copied some really basic lightmappedgeneric vmt from valves stuff instead?

that was literally them

then the problem might be your light_env
i recommend making a new one, vertexlitgeneric is never a solution

Update: good friend of mine Sphire had a look at the vmf file and fixed it, the issue was in the Map Properties.

something something misplaced spawn entity something

thanks for your help anyway guys that bug finding tool helped me fix some other issues I was having :slight_smile: