Player Model Concern/Question

Before I get into this, I want to say that this game looks amazing and I’m looking forward to playing something like this on the Source 2 engine. In no way shape or form, am I trying to bash this game or the direction it is taking.

With that out of the way, I was curious if the current goofy/cartoon player model style is going to remain until release or if they are simply place holders. I’m not a huge fan and I will explain why. There seems to be a lot of care and direction around the effects, texture detail, shade, and lighting from the developmental updates I have been monitoring. Every time I see more, I get excited by the possibilities the community will come up with when creating immersive and entertaining game modes. The issue I am having is how off-putting the models currently are whenever they are placed in these amazing settings the devs have been teasing us with. Do we know if they are a permanent part of this game?

You can change player models to whatever you want.

The Player class a gamemode uses can be changed. Not every gamemode will use the Tub Citizen as playermodel, and I doubt the Sandbox mode will either. Changing playermodels is a matter of SetModel-ing the entity to a model with an animgraph that supports the input the PlayerAnimator gives it.

Thank you! I had a feeling I was overthinking it. My only concern is pretty much squashed then. Really looking forward to playing this

IIRC, there was also a possibility of us getting access to Rust’s randomized player models. Don’t quote me on this though.

That would be awesome!

Garry has previously commented on the art style they will be pursuing. It is fair to note that this is subject to change and was a thought.
gazza2
gazza1
Models as with everything in sandbox will be easily changeable and wont be permanent per say. Garry has also said that art is not a priority for them at the moment and that code is. “Code before art” was his words.

Hope this clears this up a bit and answers your question.

With more focus being different gamemodes and such, I bet many gamemodes will include more realistic player models and such.