Please Help!! full brightness on map!! D:

All I want to do is make a huge indoor room that’s pitch black in Hammer so that I can make machinima sets in gmod 13, but whenever I play the map in gmod, the level is at full brightness.

.I have a light entity.
.there are no leaks.
.whenever i try to run the map in hammer after compiling, it won’t load.
.and for some, I can’t even start Half Life 2 Ep. 2 on the steam page anymore to at least test the level that way.
.I don’t have the “don’t run the game after compiling” option checked.
.Using the console in gmod to turn off “mat_fullbright 1” doesn’t do anything.
.I have everything in the compile menu set to normal

I have been trying to fix this for hours, but everything I try doesn’t work.

Can someone please help me?
here is my log

** Executing…
** Command: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2” “C:\HammerAutosave\gm_studio_001.vmf_autosave”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (May 15 2014)
3 threads
materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2\materials
Loading C:\HammerAutosave\gm_studio_001.vmf_autosave
Could not locate ‘GameData’ key in c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\half-life 2\ep2\gameinfo.txt
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
FixTjuncs…
PruneNodes…
WriteBSP…
done (0)
writing C:\HammerAutosave\gm_studio_001.prt…Building visibility clusters…
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors…
Finding lightmap sample positions…
Displacement Alpha : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Building Physics collision data…
done (0) (2282 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Compacting texture/material tables…
Reduced 6 texinfos to 3
Reduced 2 texdatas to 2 (51 bytes to 51)
Writing C:\HammerAutosave\gm_studio_001.bsp
0 seconds elapsed

** Executing…
** Command: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\bin\vvis.exe”
** Parameters: -game “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2” “C:\HammerAutosave\gm_studio_001”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (May 15 2014)
3 threads
reading c:\hammerautosave\gm_studio_001.bsp
reading c:\hammerautosave\gm_studio_001.prt
64 portalclusters
112 numportals
BasePortalVis: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
PortalFlow: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (0)
Optimized: 0 visible clusters (0.00%)
Total clusters visible: 4096
Average clusters visible: 64
Building PAS…
Average clusters audible: 64
visdatasize:1540 compressed from 1024
writing c:\hammerautosave\gm_studio_001.bsp
0 seconds elapsed

** Executing…
** Command: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\bin\vrad.exe”
** Parameters: -game “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2” “C:\HammerAutosave\gm_studio_001”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (May 15 2014)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     

3 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[48 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading c:\hammerautosave\gm_studio_001.bsp
Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure… Done (0.00 seconds)
2784 faces
2793472 square feet [402260000.00 square inches]
0 Displacements
0 Square Feet [0.00 Square Inches]
2784 patches before subdivision
214816 patches after subdivision
1 direct lights
BuildFacelights: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (3)
BuildVisLeafs: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…
** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “C:\HammerAutosave\gm_studio_001.bsp” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2\maps\gm_studio_001.bsp”

** Executing…
** Command: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\hl2.exe”
** Parameters: -game “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2” -toconsole -dev -console +sv_lan 1 +map “gm_studio_001” -steam

P.S. my addition parameters in the compile menu are “-toconsole -dev -console +sv_lan 1” so if that is messing something up, could you let me know please?

Nothing seems to be off in the compile log, mind posting the .vmf? (use dropbox or something)
I’ll give it a look-over and see if anything’s off.

I will email the .vmf to anyone who requests it. Just send me your email address in a private message and I will send it.

Just use something like a file sharing service.
http://pomf.se/ for example

BuildVisLeafs: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...

VRAD is crashing on building leaf visibility, this is why the map is fullbright.

I think we’re going to have to look at the map source to figure the problem out.

i uploaded to pomf
a.pomf.se/zxulua.vmf
sorry for not doing it sooner, i was hesitant on trying something new.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/531750429336858664/4F1945486C0A1C2A5AE56476F03AB1A373E0AA25/

I was only able to get it to compile after remaking all of the brushes, reducing the texture scale and lowering the ceiling. I really don’t know why VRAD would crash with a higher ceiling other than it being idiot Valve programming.

I noticed your brushes were really thin, try making everything at least on the 8 or 16 unit grid.

I think it’s because the visleaves automatically split every 1024 units (I think). If you make a giiiant room, there’s too many leaves that can “see” eachother. Think about how much calculation there is in that. The compiler calculates exactly which leaves can see which other leaves.

[editline]4th November 2014[/editline]

Nevermind, if anything that would make vvis crash, not vrad.

I was able to get the map to compile after doing a bit of brush reworking and turning up the lightmap scale to 32. However, it seems to crash GMod when trying to load it.
a.pomf.se/ksojse.rar

Leaves are only created on the X and Y plane and are infinitely high on the Z plane unless something solid obstructs them, and then they’re cut. So a if you have an empty room that’s 128 units tall or 12,000 units tall, it will have the same number of leaves.

But you are correct, leaves are created every 1024 units unless obstructed. You can modify the compile tools though to change the default size of leaves. DBN made some custom versions of vvis that had 512, 2048, 4096 and 8192 leaf sizes.

Thank you so much everyone!!! :smiley:
The level worked when I increased the lightmap scale on the textures and made my brushes thicker. :smiley: